The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad

4 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad

Post  mrblur Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:48 pm

two more episodes to go... Might finish it off tonight or get some bf3 in.

I really didn't understand episode "Fly" WTF. I thought they were going to make out. His sleepy not sleepy his sleepy not sleepy.... Sad
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad - Page 2 Empty Re: A Little Bit of Black Keys and Breaking Bad

Post  mrblur Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:44 pm

the ending s3 e12 was awesome.... "Run"
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:25 am

Note the time difference between blur's last two posts: four hours. I guess that means BF3 got kicked to the curb.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:04 pm

If he liked the ending of episode 12, I wonder what he thinks of the ending of #13?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:39 pm

I took a break between episode 12 and 13. last episode was awesome not sure if jesse did the deed. because on the last second he moved the gun.
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:38 am

Of course, the target may have moved as well. Showing him visibly moving before firing the gun was a way to keep us guessing.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:43 pm

The consequences of missing or not carrying out the act are too great. I think we can count on Jesse.

Last edited by Seamaster on Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Yes, given the fact that the old "I'll spare your life if you promise to disappear" trick would be silly in this case, given the power of the group backing the potential victim relative to that possessed by Jesse.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Jesse and Walt only have power if Jesse pulls the trigger. That said, Walt has come up with some brilliant plans in the past that has gotten both of them out of hot water.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:40 am

That was what I meant. If Jesse lets the victim go -- or ties him up or something -- that is only a very, very short term reprieve, and likely would buy them only a few hours. Time will tell!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 am

Walt only needs a couple a of hours!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:12 pm

To escape, yes, but a short-term escape from Gus's organization will not get him far!

Dammit, you are really making me wish for season four on Blu! In the meantime, I will go back downstairs and pick up where I left off with Boardwalk Empire. Though I did rent the prequel/remake to The Thing (no way I was going to buy that one) and I will probably watch it tonight. Wish me luck.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm

How was The Thing?

Re: Breaking Bad: I agree. The only logical solution is for Jesse to pull the trigger and put a bullet or two into Gale's noggin. However, as we have witnessed previously, the show's writers do have a knack for finding innovative solutions to Walt's predicaments.

Incidentally, did you know that Vince Gilligan had originally intended to kill off Jesse in the first season?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:59 am

The Thing was ultimately a failure, but an interesting one at that. Even though it was a disappointment, I am glad that I watched it. It looks like the filmmakers were genuinely trying to make a film that would do justice to the original, rather than a cheap knock-off. For instance, it is shot in anamorphic panavision, like the original, and the photography is very similar (using the shallow focus that was a hallmark of early Carpenter films.) They also cleverly make the setting (clothes, equipment, etc.) very generic so that it could easily be taking place prior to the events of the first film in the early Eighties, but if you have not seen the original you could just as easily think that it was taking place in modern times. There is an interesting development of the methodology/physiology of the Thing -- one that makes perfect sense if you think about it -- that not only provides for a much simpler test to see if someone is human, but it inadvertantly answers the question about one character in the ending of Carpenter's original; it makes it clear that at least one of the two survivors was definitely human.

The script, however, has some serious problems. It is maybe too faithful to the original in that the Thing's behaviour seems fairly inconsistent (although there are some interesting comments in the FAQ on the film's IMDB page that justifies those inconsitencies.) It is also far too faithful to the original in its use of the "idiot plot." Just like the original, after discovering what the Thing does people keep going off in pairs or even alone. Even more frustrating is that the movie has one character make the clever deduction regarding a quick way to determine how to identify if someone is NOT a Thing, and has another character explicitly say how clever she is, then it has her come up with a plan that involves people going off in pairs.

The director also wanted to be faithful to the original by relying more on practical makeup effects than on CGI. The plan was to shoot partial animatronic effects on stage and then augment them in post production with CGI. (For instance, the torso of a creature might have been practical while the tentacles were CGI.) Unfortunately, the studio was unhappy with that in post-production and much of those practical effects were replaced with CGI, and not good CGI at that. There is a featurette on the disc that shows many of the animatronics and they looked quite good -- I think that they used silicon rather than latex for the human skin, which is much more realistic than the original, which was pre-silicon and relied on latex. The ending was significantly altered and one entire creature was replaced with an entirely different one at the last minute, as well as some strange CGI effects added to cover up the elimination of the other character (basically the original story had the Thing not being native to the alien ship, but rather it had taken over the original occupents. That plot angle was completely eliminated.)

The film also pays homage to the original in some interesting ways -- there are tons of little moments that pay off if you remember what they found at the Norwegian base in the original (though again a scene that would explain the most memorable discovery ended up being cut in post-production, though that deleted scene is on the disc.) But there are some strange inconstencies, such as what happens when they discover the ship (which in the original we got to see via the VHS tapes that are discovered at the Norwegian base.)

So I ended up not hating the film like I thought that I would, but rather being disappointed in how they clearly were on the right track and could have really made a genuinely worthy prequel/remake, but fell short due to some bad decisions and post-production intereference.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am

It almost sounds like the budget was chopped or the production crew was swapped out mid-way through making the film. Odd that some of those decisions would be made.

It certainly sounds interesting, but I'm also not chomping at the bit to see it.

Now, what we need is a prequel/remake of They Live!

Last edited by Seamaster on Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 am

Well, the script problems were there from the beginning. I do not think that the CGI was any cheaper, but the studio probably thought that they needed something more "dazzling." The ending changed after their first previews. Supposedly the studio felt that the whole subplot with them finding the alien pilots did bog things down at the climax, and the director grudgingly agreed that they had a point. But from what I can tell he was not happy with the "streamlined" ending, either.

I would settler for the original They Live on Blu!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

Good call. And the extras can feature South Park's take on the back-alley fight!

Last edited by Seamaster on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:21 am

That would be awesome! There are some side-by-side comparisons on youtube, but an actual honest-to-God shot by shot breakdown with both of them would be one of the greatest special features of all time -- right up there with the "Swearing" easter egg on the original Snatch DVD.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 am

I also enjoyed Gollum's acceptance speech at the MTV awards.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 am

That was good. One of my other favorites are the "Max Fischer Players present" segments from the MTV movie awards on the Criterion Rushmore DVD/Blu-Ray.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Scary thought: What if blur starts talking about his favourite Blu-ray or DVD extras?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Shan't hold me breath.

Speaking of extras, Criterion had a one-day 50% off Valentines Day sale. And yes, dammit, I dropped some green again. I ordered The Rules of the Game, Stagecoach, Red Desert and The Darjeeling Limited.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Seamaster wrote:Scary thought: What if blur starts talking about his favourite Blu-ray or DVD extras?

It's all about camera position..... In california ...

<---- watching weeds ..... affraid

Brownies anyone...
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:29 am

{N-TYSH}

Shhhh, blur is watching the Sparklies again . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:36 pm

Yes, give him some space.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next