The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Dawn of the Ted

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dawn of the Ted - Page 2 Empty Re: Dawn of the Ted

Post  Iago Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:53 am

I watched {REC}2 this weekend and really enjoyed it. It picks up right where the original ends -- literally. One possible problem with the first film is that it takes a bit of a left turn once they reach the penthouse, though I personally found that stuff sufficiently creepy that I accepted the change of direction. The sequel continues to explore things in that direction. (That is about all that I can say without spoilers.)

Regarding your understandable criticism of the found footage/pseudo documentary approach, namely, that you have a hard time accepting that people would keep filming while horrible events were happening, the sequel takes a slightly different approach that helps cover that issue. The filmers in this case are a military outfit sent into the building to protect a Ministry of Health official, and they have helmet cameras that record the action. Most of the first half of the film is primarily from the point of view of one of the characters, but it occasionally adds an inset from another camera and then shifts to that camera briefly. But part of their job is to document what they find, and every time that they try to stop filming the Ministry official screams at them to keep recording -- and that happens a lot, just to keep reminding the viewer that the "cameramen" have no choice.

What is really interesting is that half way through the film, it shifts point of view and juggles chronology a bit. I cannot explain that better without spoilers, but you will see what I mean.

Regardless, I have a bit less of a problem with the idea of people continuing to film things, because it does not take more than a cursory scan of Youtube to find videos of tornados and other dangerous things shot by people who were clearly idiots to keep filming when they did. And to be fair, if there was a tornado coming at me, I may very well be just as stupid.

I also figured out why I like this originals better than the American remake. I saw Quarantine first, and was completely unimpressed by it -- so much so that I had no interest in seeing {REC}. But when I finally did, I loved it despite the fact that the remake was nearly a shot-by-shot recreation. What was the difference? I think that it is primarily one of intensity. In the original, the movie goes into overdrive once they reach the apartment building, and never lets up for a minute, at least until they reach the penthouse (and like I said, that whole sequence was creepy enough that it still kept my interest.) The sequel is similar; it keeps the tension level high all throughout the film. Even when there is nothing overt happening, the actors are clearly tense and that creates tension for the viewer as well.

Well worth a look . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:57 am

Bump for Seamaster -- did you see the review?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:22 am

I did, and I meant to reply, only I had some crazy days lately and I had other stuff erupting around me that I needed to attend.

I will check out [Rec] 2. If they follow the Penthouse route, I'm guessing the infestation has nothing to do with a chemical or biological leak? Interesting.

Incidentally, I have never watched the American remakes.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:57 am

You have missed nothing. Only the first film is a direct remake of the original; the sequel to the remake has nothing whatsoever to do with the sequel to the original. (I have never seen Quarantine 2, but the trailer is on the disc for {REC}2 and it is clearly a completely different story!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Have you ever read Zombie Haiku: Good Poetry For You . . . Brains by Ryan Mecum?

Some of my favourites:

Everything I thought
tasted a lot like chicken
really tastes like man.

Her toes are like grapes
With the same rush of flavor.
Same juices, same pop.

Brains, brains, brains, brains, brains!
Brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains!
Artificial hip?

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Awesome. I will have to look that up.

So back to an earlier question, did yous see Trollhunter?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:43 pm

No, not yet. So little time, so many movies.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 pm

'Tis true. I am also trying to catch up on the heisei and millenium era Godzilla movies that I have yet to see, after finishing David Kalat's book.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum