The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way!

3 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way!

Post  Iago Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Amazon cancelled my order of the Maxell cleaning disc as it is out of stock, so I tried picking it up at Best Buy today, but they only had the abrasive kind. So I got some compressed air instead and will try that out tomorrow morning. (Incidentally, Best Buy is finally carrying Gremlins 2.)
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Raging Audiophile Thread: new Oppo Blu-ray players on the way!

Post  Seamaster Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 am

At least something good came from their CEO fiasco.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:38 pm

I could not find the Maxell disc at Best Buy either and opted for the compressed air instead. No luck. It may have to go back, sadly. I do have the PS3 for backup, but without an HDMI input on my Krell I cannot get HD audio out of it. But I do have enough movies on hand where the audio is less important to keep me busy until it gets back. I just have to find the time to pack it up and ship it!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 am

There is now a register-for-updates page up about the 105 on Oppo's website:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:28 am

I know it's supposed to be the same size as the 95, but it looks slightly beefier to me. Maybe it has something to do with the vents on the top, or the headphone jack on the front? In other words, just an illusion.

Did you sign up for updates?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Indeed I did. Not sure about the size since they have no specs, but it certainly looks substantially larger, especially from their main page wihere you can compare it to the 103. I assume that the widths are identical, and if so the 105 is much taller. That appears to be a significant change from past generations like the 83/83SE or 93/95, where they shared the same chassis. This one looks like a whole new animal.

I did email Oppo explaining my problem and saying that I was shying away from using an abrasive cleaner on it unless they told me to. The replied with a form response that pretty much told me to, so I got one and it did the trick with no apparent damage, so I am back in the saddle again. Interestingly, if that did not work, rather than charge for specific repairs, they said that they would extend the warranty for $79.95, so if there was something wrong other than a simple cleaning that would have been a pretty good deal.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:24 am

Nice touch on Oppo's part.

The 93 and 95 have a different chassis. Their respective replacements in the 103 and 105 appear to share the same chassis as in the 93/95 line. However, the 105 appears to be modified with vents and a headphone jack. That makes sense since the headphone jack (and amplifier) is a new addition to the 105 and the vents are, well, for venting. The 105 is fanless, unlike the 95, which did have a fan.

In regards to size, I was comparing the 105 with the 95. If you check out Oppo's product pages, you will see that they are very similar in appearance. However, the 105 looks slightly beefier, but I know that is just an illusion. It's like adding a hood scoop to a car with a turbo. Doesn't really do much to the car's dimensions, but makes it look more aggressive.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:12 am

I was comparing the 105 to the 103. I have not looked at the 105 side-by-side with the 95, but it may well be beefed up a bit. Time (and more details) will tell. The lack of a fan is definitely a plus, assuming there are no associated heat problems.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm

Secrets has their review of the 105 up -- or rather, they have it started. The reviewer is posting it a piece at a time, and he just has the overview done. But even that does contain some interesting design information (like the fact that the stacked DACs for the stereo ouputs are actually gone in this version, and he explains why.)

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/universal-players/universal-players-reviews/oppo-bdp-105-universal-player/page-2-the-design.html
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Of course, it matters not since you resist newer technology and are stuck in the '70s when it comes to finding solutions to room acoustics!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:07 pm

It is Audyssey or the highway!

The disappointing thing with the review so far is that he is focusing on the HDMI outputs for testing, rather than the analogue outs. Why bother, since the results should be no different from the 103? One of the commenters on the article said that he owned one and was so happy with it that he was going to get rid of his Shanling CD player, which is pretty high praise indeed.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 pm

True, though I've never been that impressed with Shanling. Too many blue lights, and I like my blue lights. Nothing particularly wrong with Shanling, of course. Well-built gear that does nothing wrong. Just didn't thrill.

I looked over the article again and the XLR outs were used. It appears that that fact was not particularly clear when the article was first posted.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Yes, he got called out on his wording in the comments and so he went back and fixed that. However, he DID only use the 2-channel XLR outs and did not mess with the 7-channel outs, so his review is still lacking a bit.

You will love this: while I still want to see the large panel OLEDs when they hit the market, in accepting the fact that we have a long haul before anything affordable hits the market, let alone the length of time for the technology to mature, I have been looking around and am considering the 65 inch Panasonic VT series plasmas. Their black levels supposedly rival those of Pioneer Kuros, and combined with a BDP-105 that would make a pretty tasty combination.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:25 am

Can't go wrong with the panasonic plasma, Leo Laporte has been recommending their plasmas for the last couple of weeks. When I bought my 50inch panasonic plasma, the rumor was panasonic bought pioneer's patents on plasma tech. Not sure if it's true or not.
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:50 am

I have never been much of a plasma fan, but HDGuru picked the VT50 as the best TV of 2012:

http://hdguru.com/the-5-best-2012-hdtv-models/9187/

The other four that he picks as among the best of the year do not really interest me for price, performance or practicality reasons; the locally-dimmed LED lit LCDs have better black levels than anything but plasmas, but still fall a bit short, and the off-axis performance is always poor with LCD panels.

HDGuru also listed his reasons for preferring plasma to LCD -- much the same as the reasons that I listed above:

http://hdguru.com/the-case-for-plasma-vs-ledlcd-hdtv/9373/

But I do need to see a Panasonic VT50 with my own eyes. Plasmas have always had a "digital" look to me, but we shall see . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Regardless of what reviews say, you should only buy if you like what you see. I have been quite pleased with my Panasonic plasma, but that's me.

Last edited by Seamaster on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:45 am

Oh never fear, like I said I intend to check things out before seriously considering it. One issue with most of the plasmas that I have seen is that they have been at factory settings in an open evironment, either on the showroom floor or in a public setting like a sports bar. But according to the reviews, the THX Cinema setting is pretty accurate out-of-the-box, and even after a full calibration the improvements from there were very subtle. So while I cannot do much of anything about the bright showroom, unless I can find a dealer with an enclosed TV room, as long as I can get my hands on the remote and switch the picture mode I will at least get a reasonable chance to see if it still has that "digital" look to me.

The scary part, of course, is that buying a new set, especially one with 3D capabilities, will likely make me want to pull the trigger on the Oppo.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm still not enticed by 3D. Even when I go to the theatre, I avoid 3D showings. For whatever reason, I find the 3D effects wash out the colours, and I never find the image to be fully in focus. I'm not sure if everyone sees that same effect and it doesn't bother them or if it's me being overly picky or even imagining things. Either way, 3D isn't for me.

Regardless of your end impressions, let me know what you think if you get a chance to check out a new display.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Oh, there are but a handful of recent 3D movies that have particularly impressed me, mostly Coraline, Avatar and Prometheus. (I am solely referring to how those films utilized the 3D process, not to their actually quality as movies, though Coraline is a fantastic film in any format.) If the films are shot natively in 3D, and the effect is used primarily for depth, not extending out of the screen, then it can be very effective. But I am really looking forward to seeing more classic 3D titles released; I would love to see the 3D version of Creature from the Black Lagoon in the new Universal set. I actually have seen the movie in 3D, and in the theatre no less, but unfortunately that was anaglyph. The Blu-Ray would replicate the proper polarized version.

Depending on the film, I would still stick with the 2D Blu-Ray rather than the 3D. But for the few that I like, the 3D would be fun.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Again this is personal, but I find 3D triggers headaches, and usually migraines. I know those are a walk in the park for you, but you have a whole different benchmark to compare with. For me, I'd rather avoid the experience. But, yes, I can see how some 3D is fun.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:20 am

I have never had a headache from it, despite the fact that I am actually slightly nearsighted in one eye (not enough to worry about wearing corrective lenses, but in theory it should make 3D uncomfortable.) But it is very much an individual thing. If I were you, I would avoid the 48fps version of The Hobbit at all costs -- there are many, many stories of people getting very sick while watching it!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Is that sickness really just related to the 48 fps? . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Well, it may be related to numbness from Jackson's bloated storytelling . . .

Yes, it appears to be more due to the 48fps than the 3D in general. It is really bothering some people.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:17 pm

Isn't 48 fps the only way to see it?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Nope. It is available in 2D versions as well as conventional 3D; there are only some five hundred theatres in North America that are showing it at 48fps. It requires upgraded equipment. And even that is not so simple, as there are two different 3D formats out there; the active shuttered Dolby and the passive glasses Real3D. I did hear from Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits that he watched it in both 48fps formats and the active shuttered version gave him a severe headache, but he loved the Real3D version.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2