The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Crank Brothers EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Crank Brothers EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Crank Brothers EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Crank Brothers EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Crank Brothers EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Crank Brothers EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Crank Brothers EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Crank Brothers EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Crank Brothers EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Crank Brothers

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crank Brothers Empty Crank Brothers

Post  Seamaster Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:59 am

Does anyone here use Crank Brothers pedals? Since I only really commute, I use a Shimano hybrid pedal. However, I've always been curious about the Cranks and I'm wondering if they're worth giving a shot.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Crank Brothers Empty Re: Crank Brothers

Post  PhotoOtaku Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:29 am

I've used Crank Bro's Candies on a Cross bike, they worked well. I'm back on Shimano pedals now, just to unify cleats with other MTB riders in my family, ...I kind of like the Crank Bro's better though.

PhotoOtaku

http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:29 pm

I use full cleats, since I just do road biking and not commuting. I have always wanted a set of Look pedals and cleats, but they are a bit too expensive for my tastes for a set of pedals.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:30 pm

I think if you have bad knees you have a right to be picky, otherwise I'm not to critical about pedals either (...as long as it matches the groupo, he he he).

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 am

One concern I have is that I do have a dodgy left ankle. I had too many sprains as a kid playing soccer, wrestling and running track. And then I really did it in two years ago. Ewan and I were out hiking and we hit a fairly steep decline (about a six- to seven-foot drop). I figured I'd go first so that I could lift him down. Being an idiot, I jumped and my ankle gave out as I landed. I'm lucky I didn't break it. Nevertheless, it has been quite weak ever since, and still hurts from time to time.

Point being is that I like pedals with adjustable springs so that I can lessen the grip on my left foot, since I find it a bit difficult to get that foot free. I learned yesterday that the Cranks aren't adjustable like my SPDs.

I've never looked into Look pedals. How expensive are they (as bad as their bikes)?

Switching topics somewhat ('cause I'm good at that): What about saddles? Though I'm guessing the weight disadvantage is enough to put off Iago, have either of you tried Brooks? Are they worth the investment?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Are you saying that my weight is a disadvantage when it comes to saddles? {N-TYSH}

Acually, I have been considering picking up one of the split-style saddles. I have always used "traditional" saddles, but as I get older, but I have noticed as I am biking a bit less due to the weight lifting that I get sore more easily nowadays. That design alleviates pressure along the important bits.

I have not "looked" at Look pedals in a long time, but you are talking three figures per pedal for most of their good ones. You can still get good quality standard-cleated pedals in the $50 range.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Well, I did pay three figures (though we are talking Canadian dollars!) for my SPDs, sadly . . .

And, yes, you are correct. Perineal pressure from being on a bike isn't a good thing.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Seamaster wrote:
And, yes, you are correct. Perineal pressure from being on a bike isn't a good thing.

Never allow the "taint" to be tainted!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:08 pm

Yes, tenderloin is a term that should only be reserved for steaks.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Indeed.

By the way, it is interesting that you mention your ankle problems in regards to the pedals. You should indeed have less tension so that you can remove your foot more easily, but I have noticed that in an accident I have never been able to get my foot out before hitting the ground. I believe that it has actually saved me from breaking my leg or doing similar damage. With my leg locked in, all that has happened is that I have gotten some road rash, but in both of my major accidents I can easily imagine how my leg would have folded behind me as I hit the ground.

(Which reminds me about a friend during high school who was jumping over a fence and broke his leg just below his hip so that the leg folded up to his shoulder as he hit the ground . . . )
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:21 pm

At least he is now well grounded on the dangers of jumping over fences.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:21 am

I've been using different iterations of Sella Italia's Flite saddle for as long as I can remember (early 90's..?) They work for me, but everyone is different, I've know a few riders that swear by the Brooks saddles, and others that have tried them and tossed them. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning discomfort in the same sentence with Brooks though, ...I think it looses out on appearance quite often. Seamaster, are you building a retro WW2 styled market bike?

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 am

No, I have a fairly stock and standard-looking Kona that I use for commuting and riding on the weekend. It's nothing fancy, but it lets me get to work and allows me to train on weekends.

However, the idea of building a retro bike is intriguing.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:39 am

This would be as good a thread as any, so I have a weight-lifting question for you. I have not done so well for the last several months with the you-know-whats, but I am trying to hammer back into it. Currently, I am doing complementary groups (chest/triceps, back/biceps etc.) since that seems the most effective for me. I will still break it up constantly and switch to opposite groups to keep variety, but I was thinking paging through one of my books on the subject and got to thinking about something fairly different.

That book contains many different routines including full-body, but it also contains isolated routines for muscle groups. If you want to do a chest routine, they have some good ones laid out that include a different ones for each day that you lift. (Meaning that you would be working the chest the entire week, but they vary the routines on the first, second and third days that you lift.) Since I have yet to develop my body to the point that I would want to just work one muscle group, I have never really done anything with them. But since I know that complementary muscle groups work better for me (since the secondary muscle groups are already getting a workout while I am working the primaries) that got me thinking.

What would happen if I made multi-week program that works one muscle group each week? For example, the chest on week on, the back on week two, and so on. I would probably repeat that whole cycle once or twice (depending on how many total weeks are involved; I never stay on the same one over 12 weeks.) That way, each muscle group would get a "deeper" workout than normal, and hopefully I would get some better gains. Any thoughts?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:38 pm

I've heard of some people having a lot of success working each major muscle group only once every two weeks. However, they're usually training pretty hard and need that time to recover.

What you're suggesting is a bit different. Essentially, you'd punish one or two muscle groups for an entire week, then switch it up for the next week. You could certainly give it a try. I'd just listen to your body and be conscious of overtraining on any given week. I'd also suggest grouping muscle groups to limit how many weeks you need before you've trained your entire body. Do what works for you, but one possible option is

• chest and triceps
  • back and biceps
  • shoulders and traps
  • legs

You might also consider doing two groupings per week over four workouts. That way you get the entire body done in two weeks. Any more and I'd worry that the rest period for any one body group is too long.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:54 pm

That was really my biggest concern: that the rest period for the same muscle group might get to long. I will look things over and think about how I could incorporate your suggestions. Thanks.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  agent1a Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:12 pm

yes keep riding the bicycles guys - good work
agent1a
agent1a

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 pm

Does anyone have any tips for developing a better upstroke (while pedalling [perverts!])? I want to get a bit more speed and I find that I'm trying too hard, which defeats my efforts. Of course, it could be that I just have poor pedalling technique, so feel free to share any tips.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:03 pm

Other than hitting some hills with your feet clipped in, and focusing on pulling rather than pushing, I have no ideas. That is one thing that can only be improved by mental effort -- you have to concentrate on what you are doing.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm

Riding rollers, as opposed to a training stand, helps a lot to develop your spin rather quickly.
Also, a computer/monitor with a cadence feature is a good reminder.
Following the above, on the road I have found that my cadence is pretty much set at what is comfortable for me (and terrain) and that you will naturally increease speed by increasing the power to the spin (through muscle memory, if that makes sense..?).

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm

While I like to play with electronics, I have never bothered when it comes to training, so I don't have a computer or monitor. Likewise, I've never bothered with a training stand as I hate spinning in one spot. In the winter, I stick to running indoors, round a track, and even that gets monotonous. I have to integrate it into a circuit training program so as to keep my heart rate up without getting bored.

I will hit some hills and be sure to switch on my brain.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Well, I understood your question to be specifically related to upstroke rather than simply increasing your speed and power in general. That was why I recommended hills -- not only does it increase strength, but if you can focus on pushing and pulling simultaneously on hills it will be more natural on flat ground.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:44 pm

I figured the roller riding would help with the quality of the spin, and the cadence monitor would force you to keep the spin up. If it's for a pure cardio workout, just drop a couple gears and mash away, and forget about upstroke.

Hills, might not be a bad way to go, ...I'm still thinking about it though. I do agree with it becoming more natural, ...I'm more wondering if there could be a bad habit coming out of it possibly?

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Oh, and one leg pedal drills if you had a trainer to practice on, ...can quickly show deficiencies in your pedal stroke.

PhotoOtaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 am

I was specifically referring to upstroke--so as to increase my pedalling efficiency and speed overall. I simply digressed (as I often do) with other thoughts on training.

Problem is, while I very much enjoy cycling, I am not so hardcore as to have all the training toys that go along with the sport. I simply cycle to commute and as a way to get in some cardio. The reason I am interested in better developing my upstrock is twofold:

1. I want to gain overall speed so that I can lower my commute time.
  2. I like learning and applying proper technique.

I would like to develop my technique by simply doing (i.e., getting on the bike and cycling), but I appreciate that that might not be possible without dedicated training and dedicated equipment.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum