The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) Empty Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Seamaster Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Iago Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm

@#$!!!$%!#$$!!@#!!!!

Lotta money, and I am going to have to spend it.

By the way, I did pick up the regular CD of The Sky is Crying to replace my cherished MFSL Ultradisc CD, and the sound quality is disappointing in comparison. But SACD? Goodbye disposable income.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Seamaster Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Thought you might like. I will be buying as soon as the discs are available.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:40 pm

Shoulda hung on to my gift card. I picked up the Blu-Rays for Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Generation Kill, Dune, House of the Devil, Centurion, The Thin Red Line, and The Fly instead.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:54 am

I was looking at the Music Direct site and you can preorder the discs through them. I generally order my MoFi titles through Music Direct, as they offer better international shipping rates. International shipping directly from MoFi starts at $50 or $60!

Apparently, if you preorder, you're guaranteed to get lower numbered discs, if that kind of thing matters to you.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:54 pm

It would if I kept them sealed.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:44 pm

Exactly. You could always buy two copies . . .

My co-worker's brother-in-law just ran into a situation where he now wishes he had bought two copies of a MoFi disc. I'm not sure of the exact title, but apparently he had a copy of a MoFi John Lee Hooker disc. His six-year-old son got his hands on the disc and snapped it in two. He claims that he will have to pay nearly $100 to replace the disc through private channels.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Oh, I have just had to let my missing discs go. I would really love to replace Tales of Mystery and Imagination, since even the newest remaster fails to match the quality that MoFi did over ten years ago, but it is waaaaay too expensive.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Instead of a new phone, you could have gotten new discs . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:27 am

The purchase of the phone was a bit more pragmatic. Necessity must occasionally intervene.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:25 pm

Necessity is such a nuisance.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Necessity is the mother of strange bedfellows.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:27 am

purpose = necessity = looking good and dressing well

(Just an observation which is undoubtedly out of place in this discussion.)
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 am

There were observations that were IN place in this discussion? You forget who you are dealing with here!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am

Observations worthy of an Oscar.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Ethelred clearly overestimated us. I felt obligated to disavow him of that notion.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:57 am

It was the decent and honest thing to do.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:37 pm

At least we both have those two qualities in our favor. Not many other ones, but we should take what we can get.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Switching back to SACDs for a moment: Can you permanently tell your Oppo to always play the two-channel layer of an SACD (assuming it's available)? Or does it always default to the multichannel layer? Furthermore, if an SACD only has a multichannel layer and you were using the Oppo's dedicated stereo outs, would the Oppo downmix the multichannel into stereo, or would it only play the front-left and front-right channels?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 pm

You can set SACD priority on the Oppos to either 2-channel or multichannel and the player will automatically switch to the preferred layer. If you want to listen to a different layer than the priority layer, it is a simple matter of pressing the "audio" button and you can switch (though it will return to the beginning of the current track when you do so, so you cannot truly switch "on the fly.") I have mine set to prioritize the 2-channel layer and rarely listen to multichannel.

If you are using the 2 channel outputs and play a mutichannel only disc (or select the multichannel layer) then the player will downmix all channels. So you cannot use the 2 channel outputs for L and R while using the multichannel outputs for the rest, since you will get those channels mixed into the mains as well. Some people have wanted to do that since the DACs on the 2-channel outputs are superior to those in the multichannel outputs, and if you could use the 2-channel for the L/R and the multichannel C/SL/SR you would theoretically get better sound quality. The automatic (and undefeateable) downmix on the 2-channel outputs precludes that.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:16 pm

Thank you.

I have heard some people argue that downmixing multichannel to stereo is undesirable, so I was curious what the Oppo's limitations were.

In a music-only and stereo-only set-up, would you stick with the Oppo for SACD or would you opt for a dedicated SACD player?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:47 pm

If you do not want downmixed audio, you could always use the main L/R outputs of the multichannel outs and disconnect the cables from the other channels. (You could turn off the outputs via the menu, but then you would get downmixing again.)

As with anything in life, what to do comes out to what you wish to spend. The Oppo provides excellent performance for the price, but you can certainly do better with a dedicated player if you want to spend more. Granted, a universal player like the Oppo does give you more options if you change you mind and decide to use the player for other purposes. A dedicated SACD player -- especially the two-channel only variety -- will only do what it was born to do.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 am

If you disconnect cables, wouldn't you lose the other channels? For example, am I correct in assuming a signal might still be sent to the rears or the centre channel, but you'd never hear it?

As for your advice, you are absolutely correct and pretty much summed up my own thoughts.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:59 pm

If you disconnect all but the main channels when listening to a multichannel disc, you will indeed lose the signals, but your only choice is to do that and accept the loss or else to accept the downmixing. I thought that you were looking for alternatives to downmixing, and that is all that there is.

By the way, the Oppo does a very good job of downmixing multichannel signals. If you are listening to a multichannel only disc in a two channel setup, I think that you will not be disappointed.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next