The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1

+3
East
Seamaster
Iago
7 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 Empty Re: The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1

Post  Seamaster Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:34 am

I ran across this compilation that includes Bale in the Number 1 spot:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1 - Page 7 Empty Re: The Other Bench Apropos of Nothing #1

Post  Iago Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:02 pm

I saw that. Bale is definitely the all-time champion of psychotic weight changes for the sake of "art."

I still think that he was at his best for Batman Begins. He lacked the defintion of American Psycho, but holy cow did he add some bulk. It was most noticeable when he appeared shirtless during the training sequences with the League of Shadows, but I could not find that clip -- just a million copies of the clip of his fight on the ice with Liam Neeson. I think it appears in the featurette from the DVD:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 pm

I dunno. I gotta give the nod to his build in American Psycho. That was damn impressive. He was also younger then, though. Age does start to work against us . . .

The 30th anniversary of this film is available on Blu-ray, which I'm sure you already own. What's the verdict?

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Actually, I do not. I have never been a particularly big fan of the film. The disc has been getting good reviews, however. On the controversial horror movie front, I would be more tempted to pick up the Blu-Ray for the original I Spit on Your Grave, but I have not seen it in any stores yet.

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 am

Amazon has it, and I believe you can pick up a double-pack that includes both the 1978 feature and the 2010 remake.

Another controversial movie, with a trailer that I find tiring, but fans seem to love:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  agent1a Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:42 am

i`ve often wondered how would you know if someone spit on your grave or any grave
agent1a
agent1a

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:14 am

I know that Amazon has Grave. For some reason, it just seems like more of an impulse buy than something that I would order.

Believe it or not, I had not seen the original Black Christmas until recently. It is flawed, but the central conceit of never revealing the killer was unusual for the time and would be even more unusual now. I have not seen the remake, but I heard that it does give a backstory for the killer, which would turn it into an ordinary slasher film.

Another "controversial" slasher that I had never seen until recently:

In that case, though, the only thing that it has going for it is the "controversial" ending, and that had long since been spoiled for me.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 am

Hmmm. Never seen that one, so I don't know anything about a controversial ending. Being completely honest, the trailer doesn't really sell me.

Not so much controversial, but do you remember this one:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  MaX Karnage Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:58 am

Maybe someone could dig up the Thanksgiving trailer Very Happy
MaX Karnage
MaX Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Night of the Comet is one of my absolute favorite Eighties films. Director Thom Eberhardt also made a couple of other films that I love, Gross Anatomy and this forgotten film (partially because it barely got a theatrical release):

The trailer really does not do it justice. The humor is much more verbal than slapstick. The dialogue is actually sometimes pretty witty, and Lori Laughlin in particular has marvellous comic timing.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I posted the Thanksgiving trailer some time ago. Perhaps I will have to dig it up again.

Iago: Lori Loughlin has more than just comedic timing going for her. I wanted to link to the trailer for The New Kids, but I couldn't find it. Instead I'll post this from the 80s, which I always found to be more of a comedy than a horror:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Ah, yes, Loughlin was mighty fine in general. She is really fine in the movie that I mentioned.

Here is another horror/comedy from the era for which I just picked up the 20th anniversary DVD:

Interestingly, it has the self-aware qualities of Scream (specifically with a horror movie buff who tells everyone what is going to happen next) but it was made six years earlier. I would be mighty surprised if Kevin Williamson had not seen it before he wrote Scream.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Another fun comedy-horror:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:22 am

Alright, I cry fowl. I thought that you hated that movie. It is one of my favorites, of course. Does that mean that you have softened on one of the greatest comedy-horror films of all time"

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:38 am

I despise Deep Rising and I thought Lake Placid was silly, but I found the dialogue fun. I also thought Betty White, Oliver Platt and Brendon Gleeson put in decent performances.

How about:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Paul W.S. Anderson gets a lot of heat, but I have enjoyed some of his films (even the first Mortal Kombat and the first Resident Evil.) Event Horizen is an interesting one. The story line borrows heavily from an unproduced film developed by William Malone called Dead Star. H.R. Giger did some design work for that failed production back in the Eighties. (That film would eventually get made as the disasterous Supernova.) It has some very heavy-handed direction, plot problems and other issues, but the production design is some of the most interesting and original for a science fiction film since the original Ridley Scott Alien. It also has some very disturbing elements -- if you dare, try freeze-framing on some of the glimpses into "hell" that flash by. I really like the film, flaws and all.

Another sci-fi film that got miserable reviews but contains some really interesting design work:

The movie is pretentious as hell, and pompous to boot, but while I initially found it to be disappointing, it keeps growing on me the more that I watch it. You do sometimes have to give some points to people when they try to do something different, even if they do not entirely succeed.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:55 pm

I will have to check out Supernova. The glimpses into Hell have intrigued me.

Chronicles of Riddick isn't bad, but it is flawed in many ways. I much prefer its predecessor:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Well, I may not have written that too clearly. I was referring the the glimpses into "hell" in Event Horizen, not Supernova. The latter is simply the eventual real adaption of Malone's original concept (thought the final version bears little resemblance to the original concept.) Event Horizen, despite ripping off Malone's story, actually follows the basic concept more than the "official" adaption did. All of my comments were referring to Horizen. Supernova is a truly terrible movie.

Pitch Black is unquestionably superior to the sequel. I was just trying to point out that the sequel is not as bad as its reputation. It also has more interesting production design than Pitch Black does.

Another disappointing film with unique production design:

It is really an amazing looking film -- but awfully hard to sit through!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:23 am

I understand now. I see that Event Horizon is available on Blu-ray. I may have to pick it up.

Yes, Dune could and should have been much better than it was.

I'm cheating here, as you were the one who recommended this movie to me, but here is a sci-fi horror done right:

Last edited by Seamaster on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Great movie, though it is a bit disappointing in the final act (which actually bears more than a passing resemblence to the final act of Event Horizen. (Speaking of which, I just picked up the latter for $10.)

A trailer for a nifty made for cable film from the Nineties directed by David Twohy (Pitch Black, Riddick.) I am not sure if it is on DVD, let alone Blu-Ray, but it is worth seeking out:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

I remember that film. I couldn't help but feel that when the Time Traveller's Wife (both book and movie) came out that it was related just a touch to Grand Tour. But I suppose you could say that of all time-travelling tales.

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:55 am

That leads me to one of my all-time favorite time travel movies:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:59 am

And leads me to the one that does not sit well with you:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Ugh. I counter with this:

While some of the film is a bit creaky, it takes an approach to time travel that I feel is the only way that would avoid many of the paradoxes inherent in the concept of time travel. (The Dragonriders of Pern took a similar approach.)
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 pm

The Final Countdown is actually a decent movie. But so, too, was Back to the Future. You should give it another go, accepting that is filled with 80s cheese.

Another good movie involving time travel:

Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum