The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Blu Ray player EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Blu Ray player EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Blu Ray player EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Blu Ray player EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Blu Ray player EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Blu Ray player EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Blu Ray player EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Blu Ray player EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Blu Ray player EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Blu Ray player

3 posters

Go down

Blu Ray player Empty Blu Ray player

Post  MaX Karnage Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:16 pm

I have been using my PS3 as my Blu Ray/DVD player and I want to get a standalone player, my question is with a price range of $200.00 - $500.00 what would be the best option for me and would the quality increase be worth it? I heard that OPPOP BDP83 and BDP93 are good and I may budget for one of them.
MaX Karnage
MaX Karnage

Back to top Go down

Blu Ray player Empty Re: Blu Ray player

Post  Seamaster Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:56 pm

If you're willing to fork over $500, I doubt you will go wrong with the Oppo BDP-93 (the 83 is discontinued). However, there are a few items to consider before selecting a player:

First, do you need a universal player (i.e., SACD, DVD-A and HDCD support)?

Second, do you want a quality analogue section (identify also if you want dedicated two-channel support) for outputting audio? Will you be sending audio to your receiver via HDMI?

Third, do you need or care for quality upscaling of SD DVD to help make your SD DVDs look as good as possible? Oppos include quality processors that get the job done well. Some other brands do as well, but the mass-produced players will not do as good of a job. However, depending on your screen size and how critical of a viewer you are, you might not notice the difference. What screen size will you be watching and how far do you sit back from your set? Furthermore, have you been happy with DVD performance on your PS3?

Fourth, do you want a speedy player? Oppos and other players based on the Mediatek kit tend to be quick and responsive. Sonys are also reportably quite quick, but Panasonics and players based on the Panasonic platform (e.g., Denon and Marantz) can be a bit sluggish.

Fifth, do you want a player with wireless support and the ability to handle NetFlix? If not, you can probably get a pretty good deal picking up one of last year's models.

Let us know your answers. If, for example, you don't need a universal player, you will not be hooking your player up via analogue audio connections and you don't care for the best upscaling performance, you will probably do just as well with a mass-produced Blu-ray player from the likes of Sony or Panasonic, as Blu-ray video quality is similar across players. Heck, you will do just as well sticking with your PS3 unless you really want a standalone player.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

Good questions. Depending on your specific needs, there may be no reason to give up on the PS3. It performs very well for Blu-Ray viewing. Let us know the specifics of your needs and we can hit you up with recommendations.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  MaX Karnage Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:28 pm

I have a 55" DLP and will be watching it from about 6 - 10 feet.
MaX Karnage
MaX Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:52 am

That really did not answer any of Seamaster's questions!

I am going to assume that you have no need for SACD or DVD-Audio capability. I am also going to assume that if you are used to the PS3, then you are going to get impatient with a slower player. That really narrows things down (in a perfect world) to an Oppo or keep the PS3. The questions that still need answering, is what are you doing for audio? If you have a receiver, does it have HDMI inputs or 5.1/7.1 channel inputs? Do you want Netflix or other streaming capability? And finally, do you have a lot of DVDs and is having the best quality upscaling for those DVDs important to you?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down