The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood

2 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 Empty Re: Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood

Post  Seamaster Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:19 pm

I do get regular check ups, and since there is nothing wrong with my eyes, I'm not sure what could be corrected. It's not that I can't watch 3D movies, but I prefer 2D. The 3D always appears less crisp and the colours muted.

I did find the Falcon. It looks very cool, although I don't recall the nose being quite as long. Now I need to rewatch the movies.

We also saw Rogue Nation. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure which is my favourite in the series. Which means more movie watching . . . . Story aside, I'm blown away by the ageless Tom Cruise. Keeps himself in good shape and he really doesn't look his age.

Afraid your YouTube video has been disabled.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood - Page 2 Empty Re: Meanwhile, somewhere in Hollywood

Post  Iago Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Well, Disney has announced steelbooks of all the Star Wars movies coming in November, but they are just re-releases of the old discs with new packaging. That would have been the time to announce releasing the original versions if they were going to do it. Not very likely now. I still do not have the Blu-Rays, and probably will never get them, unless they finally give us the real versions as well. Though eventually I may have to download Harmy's "Despecialized" versions, and if I did that I would buy the Blus in order to honor the system.

I just posted a slightly modified version of the trailer for Mission Impossible in the video thread that is worth a look.

Oh, and by the way, I finally sucked it up and picked up Hannibal and have watched the first two seasons, though it looks like the show is dead after the third. Did you ever try it?

Not sure if that Wire video was somehow U.S. only, or if it was age-identified due to the language and you were not logged in, but try this version instead:

(That may be the only show in existence where if you go to Youtube and type the name of the show and "fuck scene," you will get nothing but dialogue.)
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:09 am

I have never heard of Harmy's despecialized versions. I do have the Blu-rays, as I wanted Star Wars on Blu-ray. The molestation doesn't seem to bother me as much as you. Don't get me wrong -- I am not a fan and don't like it -- but I'm able to ignore for the most part and enjoy the HD playback.

I've never watched Hannibal. You'll have to let me know if it's worth a go.

Must be an age-restriction thing, as the fuck video is doing fuck-all for me when I click Play. I'll log in to YouTube and look it up.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:46 pm

Well, fuck.

I found the first few episodes of the first season of Hannibal extremely off-putting, as they make a lot of changes in canon, and more as they go along.  But then I finally accepted the fact that it is not really a prequel to either the books or any of the movies; it is entirely its own beast.  Accepting it on its own, it is a very good show which keeps getting better.  Once I got rid of the mental block, I really started to enjoy the first season, and the second season is even better.  Hard to explain, but the show makes constant call-outs to the movies and/or the books, but in a way that makes it clear that they are doing their own thing.  For instance, the first season has a lot of references to characters from Red Dragon, but frequently in different contexts, and it quotes dialogue from movies like Manhunter, but has the lines spoken by different characters.  Considering that they show has still not even caught up to either Red Dragon or Manhunter (no real spoilers to say that Hannibal Lector is not even in captivity yet,) it could be very confusing, but once you accept that the show is its own canon, it all works.  Essentially, they are taking all of the elements from the books and the movies and using them as they see fit to tell their own version of the story.  

Suspension of disbelief can be a bit difficult sometimes, especially in the first season when it seems like they are investigating a different serial killer every week, as there just are not that many serial killers out there (at least of the flamboyantly creative kind like Lector/Dollarhyde/Gumb, et. al.)  Hugh Dancy's performance as Graham can be a bit off-putting as well, especially if you adore William L. Peterson's take on the character in Manhunter as much as I do.  Dancy plays him as pretty much crazy from the get-go, unlike the more nuanced way that Peterson played him.  But aside from those two issues, it is a very good show, and a completely amazing one when you consider that it is a network television effort.  While some of the episodes on disc are labeled as "producer's cuts" and doubtless have alternate gore footage, I am gobsmacked that they have gotten away with showing pretty much any version of the things that they do.  It is every bit as gruesome as anything in the movies.  And Mads Mikkelsen is pretty much fantastic.  I highly recommend that you pick it up, as long as you accept that it has been cancelled after the third season.

By the way, J.J. Abrams did a pretty amusing interview with MTV where he only gave yes and no answers, but he unambiguously answered "no" to the question of whether or not the new movie makes any references to midichlorians:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Sounds like I might have to give the series a try. Although it was short lived, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles also went its own direction. It picked up after the second Terminator film, then ignored everything after. I thought it worked and it was a decent series. It was cancelled too soon.

MTV interviews are always on the lighter side. When they work, they work well, and can be a lot of fun.

I'm sure you've seen this, but I'll post the link (you'll have to log-in to see it):

It's the Deadpool trailer, and it looks like it's going to be brilliant.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:28 am

Oh, you definitely need to give Hannibal a try. Just remember to keep an open mind while watching it. Oh, and speaking of shows that were cancelled too early, have you read that HBO is talking with David Milch again about doing a Deadwood movie to finally provide some closure there?

Sarah Connor Chronicles is something that I always have on my list but never get around to picking up. I need to get on that. I will probably wait until after I finish The Wire. Plus, I am only about halfway through my Shout! Factory set of WKRP in Cincinnati, so I need to polish that one off as well. Maybe I should just take a couple of weeks off!

I did see the Deadpool trailers -- both the red-band and the regular one. Marvel seems to be pushing all of the right buttons, at least for the time being. I did read an interview with the director where he said that they shot a lengthy scene with Reynolds riffing on the problems with Green Lantern, but he did not think that it would be included in the final cut. (A lot more than just the green suit joke in the trailer.) I hope that they leave it in. Either way, the director said that it would hopefully at least make the deleted scenes on the home video release.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I thought a Deadwood movie was a no-go at this point. Glad to hear there are still talks. As for Deadpool, all I can say is that I'm looking forward to the movie. I think Reynolds is perfect in the role, and I really hope the director has some fun with the character.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:55 am

The Deadwood movie has been a no-go for quite some time, but apparently talks have resumed. Not sure what put the bee in HBO's bonnet after all these years, but I will take it!

I finished the second season of The Wire and had a very difficult time not watching the first episode of the next season just to see where they go with it. The show does not end seasons with cliffhangers (at least not so far,) but it is fond of leaving many threads unresolved -- there are no perfect endings in the Baltimore of The Wire. That makes you want to see just how they pick things up again later.

Also, two recommendations. For yourself, there is a new horror movie that just hit disc called It Follows that is one of the best horror movies of the new century so far. Also, Shout! Factory just released their disc for the classic Empire Pictures movie RobotJox, and it is a stellar disc -- great transfer and very interesting supplements. I was surprised at how well the effects held up. There is much less stop motion animation than I remembered, though what it has is quite good, but the puppeted effects have a very good sense of scale. The late great David Allen supervised the effects, and they actually shot the puppet effects outdoors in the desert. The natural lighting really helps sell the effects, and they consistently shoot from low angles to give everything scale and mass. Plus, that let them pull some great in-camera forced perspective shots where they had real people walking in the background behind the miniatures. Not sure if Seajunior would find it cheesy by today's standards, but for me at least I was pleased at how well it stood the test of time:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:18 pm

Ah, yes, kids these days. Not sure what he would think, although he is a converted fan of The Great Escape. Completely different movies, of course, but he is not against older movies.

At any rate, thanks for the recommendations. I have never seen It Follows -- good to know that there is a good horror to pick up.

Not sure if you're a fan of comedies, but you might want to try Silicon Valley and You're the Worst. I think both are pretty clever and a lot of fun.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:52 pm

I will have to give them a try. By the way -- I took my dad to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E. last weekend and really enjoyed it. The story was nothing to write home about, but the whole thing was not about story anyway; it was all about looking cool. One of those movies where style becomes substance. The action scenes were not necessarily staged in particularly inventive manner, but they were filmed inventively. Director Guy Ritchie is not afraid to let his big set pieces play out in the background of the shots, often to hilarious effect. In fact, the single most violent moment in the movie happens in the background and out-of-focus, while the main characters are completely oblivious in the foreground. Plus, I thought that Henry Cavill was great, but I am one of his few fans. His accent is a perfect parody of Robert Vaughn's accent. Well worth a shot in the theaters, if it does not vanish too quickly.

Have you seen the latest mini-teaser?

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Hmmm. That looks rather . . . Disney. Not sure I care for the short pants (or are those long shorts) on the troopers either.

Thanks for the tip on The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Is it suitable for kids? I gathered from the trailers I saw that it might not be.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 am

It has vague innuendo, but nothing more extreme than any Bond film. I was never embarrassed watching it with my dad. Plus, like I said, I really enjoyed how it downplayed the violence. My wife could have handled it, and if she could have, SeaJunior certainly could have!

Disneyfied or not, The Force Awakens has now given us the best Star Wars toy ever, hands down:

http://toyland.gizmodo.com/sphero-bb-8-review-this-is-the-coolest-star-wars-toy-e-1727067215

Another view:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 am

You and your movie-inspired toys!

Thanks for the tip on U.N.C.L.E. I'm glad to know its not too bad. Incidentally, Seajunior was fine with Kingsman, and I knew about the end scene, so gave him warning. I don't feel the need to shelter him, but he's at that age where certain things are awkward when dad is around.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Well good Lord, if the kid is O.K. with Kingsman, there is nothing in U.N.C.L.E. that will be an issue! Whatever innuendo that there may be, it is nothing comparable to barely implied anal sex! (By the way, the look on Egerton's face as he tells the captive, "I'll be right back," is absolutely priceless.)

Hey, there are movie inspired toys, and there are functioning BB8 robots. That brings "toy" to a whole new level. No, I will probably not buy one, but dayum, that looks like tons of fun to play with.

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:56 pm

By the way, I took Eve to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E. while we were in Canada, and she absolutely loved it. I went by myself to The Visit, and it was a nice return to form for M. Night Shaymalan. Probably his best movie since The Sixth Sense & Unbreakable, though not as good as those two.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:25 pm

Seajunior wants to see The Visit, but also does not. I think it might make for a good Halloween flick.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:17 am

Hopefully you took him to see The Martian? That movie is good enough that it nearly makes me forgive Ridley Scott for Prometheus.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:27 pm

He and a friend took themselves. They both thought it an excellent movie. I've still to see it.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:27 am

Thoughts on the final trailer?

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, it shows promise. I'm hesitant that the movie will be nothing more than a collection or rehash of elements of previous Star Wars stories that worked. I have done no research into the story for this one, but the trailer hints that there could be a new person, a new Luke, being called to by the Force. Well, that's already been done. Even the new Sith lord looks like an updated Vader. I understand the need for continuity, but I feel like there might be a huge play on nostalgia here. And while I'm sure there's an explanation, I'm slightly confused by the trooper or clone who takes of his helmet. I thought the clones (and later troopers) were based on Fett DNA. Is that not the case?

I'll go see it. But I'm keeping my expectations grounded and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 pm

It is a balance. There was very little fan service in the prequel trilogy -- things simply did not look familiar or draw any feeling of a connection to the other films, despite featuring some of the same characters, and that was to its detriment. It just was not "Star Wars" for many people, myself included. Abrams is clearly trying to draw those people back into the fold. I think that for the movies to be successful, there has to be a balance of old and new.

The villain, Kylo Ren, is supposedly obsessed with Darth Vader, and is trying to emulate him. (He is the one holding on to the damaged Vader helmet in that brief clip.) That could be interesting in a meta fashion; the movie's chief villain is essentially a fanboy. (Unless, of course, as some fans have speculated, Ren is actually Luke after having turned to the dark side!)

While Disney has officially declared the expanded universe to be non-canon, the idea still seems to be that the original clone troopers were indeed spawned from Jango Fett, but by the time of the original trilogy the storm troopers were more of a conventional military force. Some may still be clones, but others are conscripts. That is one case where the prequel trilogy has negatively muddied the waters of the original trilogy. But all of that was defined more in the expanded universe.

I did order my tickets during the flurry when the went on sale after that trailer debuted during Monday Night Football. Got my preferred seats, and looking at the seating chart for the showtime that I chose, the auditorium is already half full -- and I took the 9:30am show on Saturday! Prime time shows are already sold out.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for the background info. I've been avoiding doing any digging, in case I came across major spoilers.

Completely different direction of conversation, but have you seen Steve Jobs? It's an interesting take on a Jobs' story, but the film works well. While based on history, it is very much a fictional play. Nevertheless, everything about it -- from the director, the actors, even the film stock choices -- is excellent and well worth checking out.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:30 pm

A favorite director, great screenwriter, smashing actors -- and I just cannot get past the fact that it is about Steve Jobs. I always hated the cult surrounding him. I want to see it, and yet I have a hard time getting over that mental block. Given how quickly it tanked after opening wide, that choice is likely taken away from me for the time being. I will catch it on video eventually.

We did go with some friends to see Spielberg's Bridge of Spies. Not my first choice (I wanted to see Sicario or Black Mass) but we needed something that the whole group could handle. In other words, that Eve could handle, since she is always the hang up. But it was quite good, and I am really not a fan of Tom Hanks. Spielberg was definitely channeling Frank Capra in that the movie manages to combine Capra's corny sense of virtue with his breathtaking cynicism about what the rest of the world thinks of it. The movie was actually quite topical despite the Cold War setting in that it addresses notions of the way that we blithely deny human rights to those who we consider our "enemy."

We also saw Everest a few weeks before that, and it was very good, especially in 3D.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:57 am

I badly want to see Sicario, but can't find anyone to go with me. The subject matter is a bit over the top for some. And I wouldn't feel right about dragging along Seajunior. I think it is beyond what he should see at his age. Plus, he's growing up, and more into heading out with his friends. I even lost him as my Spectre buddy. He's going to see it with his friends.

You might actually like the presentation and interpretation of Jobs in Steve Jobs. Let's just say that they do not put him on a pedestal or make him out to be a hero in any way. I won't say more, but if it comes up as an option, put aside your reservations. It is worth seeing, and I never once wished for the movie to be over. It's a movie I'll give repeat viewings.

Bridge of Spies is on my To-See list, partly for the reason you mentioned: It is something that everyone can safely watch. I'm glad to hear it lives up to the positive critical response.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:24 am

Oh, I will definitely see Steve Jobs when it hits video. Just not going to make the effort to see it in the theatres.

After saying that the most recent trailer was the last one, they dropped an international trailer with a ton of new footage. Still pretty safe from spoilers, though:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum