The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

My latest voodoo projects

+9
TheeMrBastage
Jegersnutse
mrblur
ADOR
Iago
Seamaster
ethelred
PhotoOtaku
East
13 posters

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Empty Re: My latest voodoo projects

Post  East Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Freebe monitor to match the freebe laptop:

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zps7fb8ed5d
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

That model of dell isn't too bad. I have a few 420's and 430's i have been fixing and selling.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm

Was cleaning out some crap today and I finally found a practical use for hp slimline parts lol

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zps0b54e0fc

Best part is windows 7 has the driver built in.

Just need to find a pci blank that is flat now. I have a box full of them around here somewhere.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:47 pm

nice
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Thinkpad 770 next to my fore mentioned 385ed and the mac g4 1.33.

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 20130904_214305_zps15db268f

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 20130903_221947_zps01d11840

The 770 is a really nice find. It is in exceptional condition. It was given to me by a former ibm employee with the dock and all the original product boxes paperwork and software. For free you just cant go wrong sometimes. Only notable problem is the screen seems a bit on the dim side. He even mentioned that to me when he gave it to me. Although it really does not seem that much dimmer then the 385ed. Might possibly need an inverter/backlight at some point but for now I am not going to worry about it. It does not flicker its just a bit on the dim side.

On another note it looks like I got given the mac at a good time. This is what I have to learn this semester. On the upside free textbook too.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:27 pm

I haven't done a lot with linux but do use it as my second OS.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:28 pm

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zpsbd3969d6

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zpsef6a8814

Now to make that army of killbots...
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Not sure if this is of use to anybody maybe ADOR since he seems to reload systems.

http://officeandoutlook.blogspot.com/2011/05/download-links-for-microsoft-office.html

http://ericthetechguy.blogspot.com/

http://supportexpertz.blogspot.com/2012/12/ms-office-2007-download-links.html

Full versions of office 2007. Keep in mind you still need legitimate product keys to install them. I keep these around so that when a customer gives me a laptop to reload and office is already installed I can reinstall it for them.

On a side note i dug the old teacs out of the basement today. When the hell did people start asking $50+ for a fd-55gfr?

The rougher of the 2 is a fd-55br but it looks to still be in good working condition. Just going to clean the heads with some isopropyl and they should be good to go. I started an older build for this beast in my old athlon xp case but haven't gotten any pictures of it yet. I am using one of my p2 asus boards I was saving for a special project. Probably end up with w2k on it for stability and driver support for the floppy.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:08 am

I still have a CF-M34 toughbook that looks like you took it out of the box that is a P3 700mhz that still has windows 2000 pro on it. Hell I had to put info on it when I turned it on like a new pc. Have you seen/tried the unofficial service pack 5 for windows 2000 yet?
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:29 am

I will have to look into sp5 when I load it. Along with the software and stuff he gave me the thinkpad 770 and mac g4 but he also gave me an old compaq portable 3 in the original box with all of the paperwork and manuals. It could pass as NIB open box. I will have to get some pictures of that its pretty cool but I have not really messed with it yet. Might have been able to read the floppies on that but I need something with cd-rw or usb support to copy the disk images onto after I dump them for safe keeping. Hence the need for the p2 asus build. Its actually a late p2 motherboard with support for early p3 chips. Has a P3 450mhz in it that was salvaged from an old ibm and the ram from an old compaq lol. I have a 10gb wd hdd from an old dell I intend to use with it.

The compaq portable 3 is nice because its small and light weight. Reminds me of the compaq portable i I use to have. Kinda sorry I got rid of that one in retrospect but it was really rough. Was in somebodys basement when it flooded and had its share of rust.

I was thinking about throwing the teac into the gateway baby at but again no usb ports and good luck getting a cdrw drive working with a pentium 1 processor.

Also in case you are wondering

"APPENDIX: Expert System Shells, Artificial Intelligence Languages, and Sample Expert Systems

Shells 1st Class, 1st-Class Fusion, 1st-Class HT. A rule-based program with induction from examples, complete visual rule tree, and optimization of rules. Chaining rules for deep logical structures is awkward. Fairly easy to learn. Getting rules to work properly may be a bit tricky, particularly when you let the program help. Fusion and HT have easy access to Lotus and Dbase programs. HT includes hypertext. Overpriced. Company : AI Corp., 138 Technology Drive, Waltham, MA02151; (617) 891–6500 Price : Fusion $995-$2,000; HT $2,000, free run time Platforms : MS-DOS/IBM 512 RAM, MS-DOS 2.0+, two floppies or hard drive VP-EXPERT. A rule-based program with hypertext, induction from examples, visual tree for rules fired in a session, no optimization of rules. Speedy, but interface is a bit awkward. Both forward- and backward-chaining are offered, and it can read and write both Lotus 1–2–3 and DBase files. Inexpensive, good value. Company : Paperback ...

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content on this page. Please, subscribe or login to access all Methods content. "

I cant belive how this stuff gained value.

I have 2 of those in good working condition both missing hdds though. One is an ex ibm laptop still has all of the stickers intact for providence. Bellow the screen it says "Internal Use Only" and on the bottom it has the standard ibm sticker with the persons name it was issued to and the phone number of the location they worked at. Got those a few years back I will have to get some pictures some pretty cool stuff.

Have 2 of those thinkpad dock 1's now the first one is bundled with. One I just got and its essentially NIB. The other is well used but works well. I will keep using the well used one. No point messing up a NIB one for nothing.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:48 am

On the old toughbooks (oldest one I have is CF-25 Pentium 150 mhz) I have got a BIG speed boost using a high speed compact flash in a ide to compact flash adapter as a DIY SSD. I still use a 4gb in my 800 mhz p3 CF-28 toughbook. The older drives are really slow. 3600 and 4200 rpm.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Its primary purpose is going to be a fd ripping station so hdd performance isn't too big a concern.

Ended up tearing apart the teac fd-55br today. Sorry no photos didn't have anything to take them with handy. There was a metal shield that was originally glued to the bottom read write head that came loose due to age. I pulled the head out, re secured that and cleaned the heads. Used lithium grease on the rails for the track and cleaned a lot of the rust stain off of the stepper motor. Drive is looking good I have not tested it yet though.

Mounted both floppys and an old nec 8x cd rom in the case. This is the biggest cob job I have built in a while and I am enjoying it. Just need to dig up pretty much any atx power supply and pci video card and it will be complete. Still want to rebuild the other floppy drive though. Just want to test the one I did rebuild first though and make sure I didn't mess up the heads.

Only psu I know of off the top of my head is a 1u psu. Going to have to find something atx form factor. I know of a good supply in a system that is sitting waiting to be torn down and the case reused in another build. I might have to dig into that. As far as video cards go I am thinking either a vintage run of the mill matrox or a number nine card I have been saving for god only knows how long.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Just got what I consider to be a decent deal.

I intend to build a linux vm server around this platform to play with / for my own personal use. Maybe have monowall running intermediate if I can. Anybody have a favorite distribution? I am looking for something with a powerful yet versatile and standardized cli, bash support is a must because that's what we are learning in class. Either kde or gnome are acceptable gui's.

If nobody mentions otherwise I will probably start with fedora or Ubuntu and go from there.

For $150 and 32gb of ram I don't think I can go wrong. I could have 8gb of ram for the host os (linux) and 12 virtual machines with 2gb of ram each or more probably 6 with 4gb each.

It also includes 2x 4 port pcie 16x nic cards. I have no idea what chassis I am going to put this into yet. Might have to shoe horn this into lago's rage. Not sure if it would fit an eatx board though.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:21 am

Ubuntu swapped to the unity interface during build 11. It's got where is supports less and less order hardware. You can install gnome 3 or kde. You might want to check out MINT. A lot of other ubuntu users I know have swapped to it. I haven't tried Fedora lately so I can't say.

I got three sunfire servers about a year ago for the oldest boy to set up as minecraft servers. We had them online for a little while but because we just didn't have the bandwidth to support that many players. We have since swapped to a hosting company. I got them for 50 bucks each shipped. Dual core 2.2 and 8gb of ram each. Still haven't decided what to do with them yet. One is running windows, the other ubuntu 10.10
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 am

What I liked about this system is it is a bit versatile. If I decide against the whole server thing it could pass as a high end workstation what with sli support and all. The only problem is I have not looked into the speed of the ram and ecc ram tends to be a bit slower then regular non error correcting ram. Just checked its actually ddr2 pc2-5300. Not bad for the money.

I will probably host an ftp server on this. Hmm maybe I will do a media center build around this if its going to be on all the time and get a dvr card as well.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 am

Well here is what arrived:

1x TYAN THUNDER N3600B
2x AMD Opteron 2378 - OS2378WAL4DGI
6x kvr800d2d4p6/4g (Registered ddr2. 24gb total Good working ram. Seems to sell on ebay for $40 a stick)
2x KTHDL385/4G (This would have brought the total up to 32gb as advertised however This ram is ddr-pc3200 and thus is not compatible)
2x KTH-XW9400K2/2G (WTF?, These were not listed as included. Registered ddr2. This almost makes up for the other 2 being incompatible, Almost. Brings the grand total up to 28gb)
1X ATI Rage Pro 128mb pci
1x Intel PRO/1000 PT Dual Port pcie 2 port 1000mb/s ethernet adapter
1x Intel PRO/1000 PT Quad Port pcie 4 port 1000mb/s ethernet adapter
2x Thermal Take heatsinks (well fans at least not sure about the h/s's)
3x Nice sata cables
1x Braided 24pin atx extension cable

I really wanted to go on ebay and get 2 more matching sticks of ram however they sell for $40 a piece. I am not looking to spend 2/3 of the cost of this entire setup on 2 more sticks of ram. I guess I will just learn to get by on 28gb for now and keep my eyes open for a good deal on 2 sticks of the matching ram.

No physical damage to anything here. It all looks to be in really nice shape. The wording of his auction made me think the other 2 port Ethernet card was a 4 port but maybe that is just the way I read it. He said "2-4" I took it to mean "2x 4". Either way I am not concerned about it in the slightest. I was thinking about not using one of them anyway in favor of my old gtx 460 from the voodoo until I realized he included the Rage 128 that was pictured in the auction. Now I am considering using that because I really do not expect to game on this server lol. I guess the deciding factor will be weather it can fill a monitor at 1080p or not. Setting the fans to 0% Duty Cycle PWM controlled quieted the system down nicely. It does heat up a bit more then id like it to though so I am thinking about bumping it up to 30% (Not that noisy either)

The upside is this 8gb of pc3200 ram he sent me will work in my older duel xeon based tyan system. Between that and the other ram I came by for free for it that would bring the total in that system up to 12gb.

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zpsb89e6946

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zps78c04541

Hmm I just realized I have a fanless 7300 gs pos from a dell around here somewhere that may be more appropriate for this build. Would be easier to adapt dvi to hdmi then vga to hdmi too and I know it should be able to drive a panel at 1080p. I am putting some thought into this. Really I want a cool and quiet build. Now to find that magical balance between fanless and performance.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:34 am

Just wondering if anybody has a suggestion on a sata III raid card for this beast. I would also consider sata II. pci is preferable as it is looking like my pcie slots are going to be occupied but I suppose I could go with a different sound card need be and get a pcie raid card.

I have been looking at lsi and promise but have not seen anything I like for a reasonable price point. I was also thinking about dropping $100 for 2 zalman coolers depending on the Tt's temps / noise. Id really rather put that $100 towards a larger ssd though. I might use my 4tb hitachi array as the storage drives that are in the omen right now. 532 Power On Days and still seem to be in perfect health. Then I can get ssd's to run my applications off of for the omen since the server will be taking care of all the video storage and crap I will not have the need for the massive storage capacity in the omen. Allowing me to make it more of a purpose built gaming machine. Rather then an enthusiast pc. (Although I guess I missed that boat when I picked the lga1366 platform and 24gb of ram.)

On a wim I am going to pick up the management card for this too. The price is cheap enough. Not sure I will have room for it in its planned configuration though.

On an interesting side note I could hook my 5 1/4 teac floppys up to this board as well. The space will be better used by 120mm fans though.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:05 pm

The result of about 2 hours work. Some that time included removing old components and cleaning the case though.

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zps03f6b783

This case has 7 5.25 bays. The top bay is getting an optical drive and the bottom 6 are getting 2x 120mm fans. I am going to get a single hight 5.25" fan controller to manage them. Disregard that pos NZXT one. That is left over from the last build and it does not work right. (None of the NZXT ones do though) Since I am out of bays I am going to suicide mount it in one of the 5.25" bays behind the fans. I have not powered it on since installation but everything should be good to go. I still want to do a bit better job managing the white front panel wires though.

Ultimately I did decide to go with the 460 since I want to be able to emulate a bunch of games with this system since its going to be hooked up to the 55". The card above it is a pcie 4x spdif ready sound card. That should interface nicely with the 2nd (aux) spdif input on the sound bar.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

Playing with some stuff in debian live

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zpsf030f0dc
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:56 pm

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zpsbce536da

sumbitch, Going to have to trim the fan packs. It would be easier just to mod the v2000 but I cant see fucking up the case just to correct the poor workmenship of the lian li fan packs.

My latest voodoo projects - Page 20 Aa_zps8526cf26
At least it will look badass and should provide good flow.

I could also mod them to accept a duel 120mm rad while im at it.

Got started on the cowl block off plate for the firebird as well. Ill get some photos of that up when I make more progress. Finding an appropriate piece of scrap metal is holding that up. Going to have to ask up at the shop if there is anything laying around. (A mashed up fender would probably do nicely after I pound the hell out of it) Alternatively an old door would probably work its just more then I want to be bothered dragging around. I am a bit pissed I use to have a large piece of tin metal that would have been perfect that I got rid of a while ago. A bit thin for what im using it for but I dont in vision that it would have been a problem plus its easier to cut. Might have to take a look for something like that at home depot when I go to get the cut off wheel for the dermal.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:35 pm

Loaded an old wdc drive with windows and from what i have seen the tyan runs skyrim without breaking a sweet (on the tiny dell monitor) i am sure the video card and processor coolers would be noiser @ 1080p.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:27 pm

The other day I found out my duel xeon based tyan server uses registered pc-2100-2700 @ a max of 2gb per slot. Therefor I am not sure what I am going to do with the 8gb of registered pc-3200.

Also looking at these coolers for the duel opteron tyan.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Any ideas on a replacement scroll wheel insert for a logitech?

closest thing that comes to mind is grip tape.

I could get the entire mechanism from ebay but its a chinese supplier and I do not trust it to be oem.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Found more information about running voodoo ios on regular x86 hardware for those interested.

I don't have any time to play around with it right now though. Putting it here as a mental note and for anybody else who is interested. The same stuff should apply since voodooios is essentially a branded version of splashtop. I would also be interested if anybody can find a working link for that splashtop os public beta that was released. Might have to hack part of it togeather with the voodooios to get it to boot. Cant say without looking at it indepth.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 am

I figured it was possible, I will play with it more when I get time. The reason I was looking at re-skinning Ubuntu or something like that was just for a update on the OS. Thanks for the link East.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next