The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Firebird 802 with Ubuntu?

3 posters

Go down

Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? Empty Firebird 802 with Ubuntu?

Post  morrow Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Hello everyone, long long time lurker, first time poster (maybe?). I came to you with one question, I had a Firebird 802 for two years, and recently been thinking about installing ubuntu on it. I heard that ubuntu doesn't really play nice with Nvidia drivers especially dual graphic cards (not to mention the 802 had a custom one).

I was wondering is anyone could tell me, if there would be any problems with install ubuntu on the 802, whether is a good idea or I should just stick with windows.

p.s. I posted this issue before on the old HP forum, but basically got no solution; my 802 freezes if is in "safe power" mode (most of the time it won't even boot it in). I'm a very very casual gamer, and would hope if "safe power" mode could behave.

Thank you in advance.
morrow
morrow

Back to top Go down

Firebird 802 with Ubuntu? Empty Re: Firebird 802 with Ubuntu?

Post  East Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Before you look to install anything you should work on that freezing issue. If it was my system the first thing I would do is wipe the drive and reload windows. I am not really sure that you mean by freezing. When it freezes does it artifact? Does it black screen? Does it bsod? or does the desktop just remain there and the entire system freezes?

As far as ubuntu the 802 uses mxm video cards (or they are based off of mxm video cards) I am guessing laptop drivers would work.

If reloading does not solve the freezing issue its time to swap around hardware. Try it in a bare minimal configuration with a single stick of memory. Remove the wireless daughter cards and anything else you can and see if the issue persists.

If it is just freezing at the desktop it sounds to me like a psu or hdd problem. I had a customers laptop a while back that was doing the same thing even though the hdd's smart status indicated it was in good health. Same thing with my fathers old hdd. More then likely its time for a new hdd though. Especially if you have a traditional mechanical hdd. I would stick an ssd in it at this point they have come down in price enough. Plus if you are just a casual gamer you shouldn't need a tremendous amount of storage space. If you have enough memory that you can turn off your paging file and disable hibernation you can get a windows 7 installation down to around 20gb. A 200gb ssd should be adequate.

I am not sure what resources you have at your disposal but I would not try to hook a 3.5"" hdd to your firebirds power supply for troubleshooting. While the sata interface is the sata interface I do not think the firebirds psu would supply the drive with enough amps. You could end up frying the psu brick in which case you would be pretty sol. If you have a dedicated sata power supply that would be the way to go for trouble shooting. Something like this would work fine.
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Why not both? i have several machines dual booted. With your current install you have two options. One is to try it out live. Two you can dual boot the machine> Ubuntu has the option to install ubuntu like a program. Uninstall if you don't like it. Another option for a gaming machine is SUPERGAMER it has ati and nividia drivers built in.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  morrow Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:13 pm

East wrote:Before you look to install anything you should work on that freezing issue. If it was my system the first thing I would do is wipe the drive and reload windows. I am not really sure that you mean by freezing. When it freezes does it artifact? Does it black screen? Does it bsod? or does the desktop just remain there and the entire system freezes?

As far as ubuntu the 802 uses mxm video cards (or they are based off of mxm video cards) I am guessing laptop drivers would work.

If reloading does not solve the freezing issue its time to swap around hardware. Try it in a bare minimal configuration with a single stick of memory. Remove the wireless daughter cards and anything else you can and see if the issue persists.

If it is just freezing at the desktop it sounds to me like a psu or hdd problem. I had a customers laptop a while back that was doing the same thing even though the hdd's smart status indicated it was in good health. Same thing with my fathers old hdd. More then likely its time for a new hdd though. Especially if you have a traditional mechanical hdd. I would stick an ssd in it at this point they have come down in price enough. Plus if you are just a casual gamer you shouldn't need a tremendous amount of storage space. If you have enough memory that you can turn off your paging file and disable hibernation you can get a windows 7 installation down to around 20gb. A 200gb ssd should be adequate.

I am not sure what resources you have at your disposal but I would not try to hook a 3.5"" hdd to your firebirds power supply for troubleshooting. While the sata interface is the sata interface I do not think the firebirds psu would supply the drive with enough amps. You could end up frying the psu brick in which case you would be pretty sol. If you have a dedicated sata power supply that would be the way to go for trouble shooting. Something like this would work fine.

It is just freezing the desktop, if I switch to "save power" mode after I'm on desktop, it'll just freeze right away with the switching icon still there. If I manually edit the registry file, it won't boot in to the desktop at all, either still on "welcome" screen or simply black screen. It had been like this since I bought the machine, I had always thought it's just the graphic driver's issue, never actually thought about the HDDs. I still have the original HDD that came with it, I may see to get those changed.

ADOR wrote:Why not both? i have several machines dual booted. With your current install you have two options. One is to try it out live. Two you can dual boot the machine> Ubuntu has the option to install ubuntu like a program. Uninstall if you don't like it. Another option for a gaming machine is SUPERGAMER it has ati and nividia drivers built in.

I will try dual boot, but usually I like to stick to one OS.

Thank you all for the input.
morrow
morrow

Back to top Go down

Post  East Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Just wanted to add there are bad nvidia drivers going around. 320.18 was making my system freeze at random, the mouse cursor disappear, an occasional black screen and weird behavior when launching any type of directx application. (The screen would turn black as it should but the taskbar would still be visible for a while) Downgrading back to 314.07 fixed all issues.

While I cant fault nvidia as I remember a certain ati driver fiasco a while back somebody at nvidia should be fired for releasing this driver to the public without properly testing it first.
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down