The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

the website will be burning up soon

+5
Seamaster
Iago
ADOR
ethelred
Rozzinator
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 Empty Re: the website will be burning up soon

Post  ethelred Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:17 pm

In 2007 most of us were asked by Voodoo to complete a customer survey. It is a little long but for those of you who are curious it summarizes how I was treated. Unfortunately my story was not atypical. In the original survey answers were highlighted. To simulate that I placed an X by my answers. Here it is with some of my personal data expunged:

VoodooPC Customer Survey

VoodooPC customers have come to expect nothing short of the best when it comes to their computers. Our customers are important to us and over the years we have listened and responded to our customers, this has often guided our service approach with new customers, and we get better all the time. Our customers demand the best in performance products and deserve the best in service. So, we ask that you please complete the following 24 questions about your purchase. Your feedback will go a long way to ensuring your next experience with VoodooPC is positively unforgettable. Your honesty is appreciated.

Please return this filled out survey to kevin@birdienumnum.com by April 2, 2007 and you will be rewarded with a free package of the famous Voodoo Game Fuel (organic espresso beans ground into organic chocolate….). I will send the game fuel to the contact information you provide below before April 15th, delivery will vary based on your location. You can choose to remain anonymous, however you will not receive the Game Fuel.

Name : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Age : 60 Gender : M

Address : xxxxxxxxxx

City : Sparta Prov/State : WI PC/Zip : 54656

Machine Purchased : (ie. Omen, Rage etc.) Envy M780

Purchase Date (MM/YY) : 06/04

The Purchase (check all that apply)

How did you select the model that best suited your needs?

X Website Advertising

X Other customers’ comments Articles/Write Ups

X Telephone, with VoodooPC staff Other

Please explain / comments:

2. How would you rate your experience on the Voodoo web site?

X Informative Not Informative

Easy to find information Not easy to find information

Easy ordering process Difficult ordering process

I would have preferred that there be more pictures of the computer I was going to purchase. Fortunately, one of the other Board members had a gallery of laptop pictures that he was willing to share.

3. How did you find using the Quote Kitchen on the VoodooPC web site?

X Informative Not Informative

Easy to find information Not easy to find information

Easy ordering process Difficult ordering process

Did not use it

4. How was your purchase made?

All online X Telephone

Online and telephone Other:

I liked the fact that each time that I called I was able to talk to the same sales consultant. I also liked the fact that he was knowledgable about the product he was selling.

5. How would you rate this transaction process?

Very good Good

Satisfactory X Poor

Never again

A number of problems arose during the ordering process that were annoying to the point that I should have realized that I was not dealing with a first-rate operation.

First, I had problems with the Voodoo-sponsored financing. The financing was approved within a day, but it took Voodoo much longer to recognize this fact and get my order entered. For whatever reason, the communication between the bank and Voodoo was lacking. Since this was Voodoo's financing program, I expected much better communication.

Second, the problem was exasperated by an email system at Voodoo that didn't seem to work.

Third, I never received a bill of sale from Voodoo indicating the exact specifications and components of the computer that I had purchased. All I received was an email indicating my order number. It did not even have on it the total amount of my purchase.

Fourth, within a week of the time I ordered, Voodoo anounced that a higher resolution screen was being made available for the M780. At that time I elected to change my order, knowing full-well that it would possibly delay shipment as well as cause me to pay more for this upgrade. What surprised me was that I not only paid extra for the higher resolution screen, but also was assessed a penalty charge for changing my order. Having been in sales for some years, I would never dream of treating a customer in this manner. It was especially aggravating since I knew that my laptop had not even been put into production yet.

6. In your opinion, what could have made this transaction a better experience?
See the answers to #5.

7. What was the best part of the ordering process?
See the answers to #4.

8. What was the worst part of the ordering process?
Is this question redundant or am I missing something here?

9. What could VoodooPC do to improve the purchase process?
See the answer to #8.

Additional comments:
Post Purchase

10. How long did you wait for your machine?
I believe it was about 5 weeks.

11. In your opinion, was the wait time reasonable? If not, what would be a reasonable wait time for a custom built PC?
Considering that I changed my order, I thought the wait was reasonable.

12. Custom, one-off machines take time to build and test, did VoodooPC explain this process to you adequately? What can we do to better explain this process to our customers?
I don't recall this ever being an issue with my purchase. Quite possibly I had spent enough time on the Boards that I was already aware of this. I don't recall that this was mentioned by the sales consultant, or if it was, I may have indicated that this was not a concern for me.

I think the big problem does not come from the normal lead time involved in building and testing, but from promising delivery when the parts to manufacture the computer are not in house. This leads to expectations that Voodoo is invariably unable to fulfill.

13. What communications did you have with VoodooPC while you waited for your PC to arrive? (ie. Telephone, E-mail, Physical Correspondence (mail), Web access/messaging)
Please explain what communications took place and how often (and who initiated the communications):
I only recall a couple of emails from Voodoo indicating my order number and the fact that I had changed my order. I think that I called a few times to question the status of my order.

Additional comments:
Arrival

14. Was the shipping date of your VoodooPC communicated to you?
I called to check the status of my order and was surprised to find out that it was shipping that day.

15. If so, how were you contacted?
I wasn't. See #14.

16. Did you receive exactly what you were expecting?
Yes.

17. What did you think about the packaging of your new machine?
I didn't, other than the fact that the "straw" used for packaging was mildly annoying.

18. What did you like about the packaging?
It looked to be reusable, and I found out later that it was.

19. What did you not like about the packaging?
See #17.

20. How important is it to know that packaging materials are environmentally friendly? (re-useable or recyclable)

Important Not important

Nice to know X Don’t really care

21. Are you familiar with the following documents from your VoodooPC

owners manual? If so, what impression did it leave you with?

Y N

Brand Karma N Positive Negative Neutral

Certificate of Ownership Y Positive Negative X Neutral

Benchmarks Y Positive Negative X Neutral

Voodoo First Aid N Positive Negative Neutral

Voodoo Warranty Y Positive Negative X Neutral

I guess at my age I'm not easily impressed. I don't recall anything about "Brand Karma" or "Voodoo First Aid."

22. What follow up did you receive from VoodooPC after the delivery of the machine?
The receptionist / operator (Kim) called to ask if I had received everything ok. She also urged me to share my experience on resellerratings. com.

23. In your opinion, what could we do to make this an overall better buying experience? Live up to the cusomer's expectations. See #24.

24. Why did you choose Voodoo? Would you purchase another Vooodoo in the future?

This is going to be a long answer.
I chose Voodoo because:

A. At the time the price Voodoo charged was very little higher than that charged by competitor's such as Hypersonic for the same machine, and I was willing to pay more because:

1. I thought I would be getting the kind of customer support and TLC
that I had once received from Gateway in the 1990's but was no
longer available. I assumed that when I called in after I received
my computer with a problem I would get prompt answers and be
able to talk with the same knowledgable tech each time I called.

2. I was willing to pay more for the privaledge of being able to
participate on a forum such as the MuthaBoards where I could
communicate with Voodoo owners having like interests.

B. It was not a conscious part of the decision-making process, but I assumed that by paying as much as I was, I was purchasing a product that had already been field-tested by Voodoo to live up to all of the hype that they had in print on their web site about their products. It never dawned on me that Voodoo was taking product from another manufacturer without really knowing how it would perform in the long run.

At this time I do not forsee purchasing from Voodoo again. After spending over $4,400 on my laptop it lasted less than 2 years and is currently packed away in my basement. (I replaced it with a Dell XPSm1710).

During the time the laptop was being used, it was shipped back once for a new video card. It also had problems with playing back DVD's, it was shipped with an outdated BIOS, it developed a crack in the bezel above the right hinge, and the continual problems with excessive heat generation lead me to conclude that when the motherboard got fried it was not worth repairing.

But these problems could have been ameliorated if I had been made to feel like I was getting the customer service that I had been led to believe I would get. Instead I developed the belief over time that customer service at Voodoo was being used to stonewall the customer so that the company did not have to spend limited working capital on solving the customer's problem. The customer service people were always courteous, but trying to get anything done reminded me of being in the army and marching through sand in full field gear. Some examples:

Calling on a problem seldom resulted in getting the same tech. Each time it would be necessary to explain the problem from the beginning and what had been done up to that point. There seemed to be no case number applied to my problem and no log of what had taken place up to that point.

The people at Voodoo didn't seem to know what was going on when my computer was in for repair. One day when I called I was told that it would be 2-3 weeks before a new video card arrived. Literally, the next day I was told that a video card had showed up and the my computer would ship back to me the next day.

Even though my computer was under warranty and shipping should have been covered both ways, Voodoo charged my credit card without my permission for the freight. Each time that I called about this problem I was greated with a very friendly response and was told that my card would be credited, but each time nothing happened. It took several calls for me to get this charge reversed. I got the impression that Voodoo was hoping that if they stalled long enough, they could just keep my money.

To get a better feel for my customer service experience at Voodoo I have attached a document that contains the comments of various Board members in regard to the M780 BIOS problem. In the threads I am "ethelred." I realize that this is long but if you have the time to read through the posts you will get a better sense of what customers can experience in dealing with Voodoo. (THIS POST IS LONG ENOUGH. I AM NOT GOING TO INCLUDE THE ABOVE REF THREAD)

25. Thank you for participating. Can you hardly wait to receive your Game Fuel Chocolates?
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

the website will be burning up soon  - Page 3 Empty Re: the website will be burning up soon

Post  East Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

At this point I would settle for permission to create a board under the name "mutthaboards" using as many parts of tha mutthaboards 2.0 theme as possible. Idk what they originally used but it wouldn't be that hard to make a phpbb or smf based board.
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:49 am

What you don't have might be-able to be pulled from the web archives.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I am not surprised that ethelred is still keeping that survey after all this time! Interesting read, though!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  killerwill Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 pm

DAMN ethelred!!! Thats a detailed survey you kept for a long time!!!

REALLLY reminds me of when I bought my Alienware Area 51 desktop in 2011! I had one of the most horrible buying experiences and tech/Upgrade problems. ( I was even threatened by a salesperson in India)

I'm getting a clearer and clear picture of what went wrong with Voodoo.. It sounds like to me, that They had no real internal management on nearly every level of operation.... It sounds like an organizational chaos...

BTW still no response from Ryan yet on my questions....

killerwill

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50 am

Never fear, having to wait for a response from Ryan is perfectly normal. Some things never change!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:54 am

Re Iago's comment: I am not sure why I kept it so long--computer storage space is cheap? Originally I thought I might need to refer to it in case I got a response from Voodoo. I've got more of a response from posting it here than I ever got from Voodoo.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:57 am

{N-TYSH}

Dude, you are in my time zone -- what are you doing up? I get up at this time or even earlier every day, but I am completely abnormal!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:29 am

Couldn't sleep, went to bed to early I guess. I find that I get older it gets harder to get back to sleep if I wake up after 3am.

I bet you just love getting up when it's well below zero to do a delivery.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I managed my last on call two weekends ago without a single out call, and I was grateful for it!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm the opposite type of abnormal: given the freedom I wouldn't go to bed until 3 a.m. I'm a true night owl.

I think it's cool that ethelred kept the survey. I also filled one out, but I no longer have a copy.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 pm

I am a night owl by nature, but lifestyle and work has necessitated the switch to getting up at 4:00 -- though for the past few months I have been getting up more like 2:30-3:30. Cheers.

Absolutely it is cool that ethelred kept the survey! I was just surprised; I do not think that I have ever saved anything like that.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am

Well, there is something about the wee hours that I find alluring. But I'm not sure about getting up at the times you're talking about. That must take some willpower.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 am

My parents lived through the Great Depression and as a result saved almost everything. I remember as a kid we even had a drawer with bits of string saved in it. I guess I inherited their habits. I don't save string but if I have even a small suspicion that I can use something in the future, I save it. It's amazing how many trips to the hardware store I have avoided as a result.

Now I have to force myself to look through my possessions every year and discard the items that I haven't used in the past couple years.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 am

There is something to be said for hanging onto useful items. Many people today dispose of items way too easily. So long as it doesn't get to the extreme of hoarding!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

Eve has a strategy that is hard to argue with: if she has not touched something in six months, it goes out the door. Her mother is a nasty hoarder, and Eve has to make a concious effort not to be that way.

So I do have to make very certain that she has contact with me at least once every six months . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

Very Happy
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Two BAGs in one day. Not bad!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:11 pm

Iago wrote:Eve has a strategy that is hard to argue with: if she has not touched something in six months, it goes out the door. Her mother is a nasty hoarder, and Eve has to make a concious effort not to be that way.

So I do have to make very certain that she has contact with me at least once every six months . . .

1yr time limit unless it mine....
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Oh, there have been instances of my stuff mysteriously getting sold at garage sales alongside hers, but she does try to avoid that since the infamous "Ibanez Incident" in which she sold my guitar for $25 without asking. Someone laughed all the way home after he left THAT garage sale.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:26 pm

She sold your Ibanez for $25? Fucking hell. What model?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:46 pm

It was an RG 140. Not exactly a premium guitar, but it was in pretty good shape and certainly worth a helluva lot more than $25.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 am

Thank you for reminding me to never get married.
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:07 am

That sucks.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Guitars and garage doors. Something about things that start with the letter G?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum