The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska

5 posters

Go down

Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska Empty Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska

Post  mrblur Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 am

I need a little help here,I'm heading out to Alaska next Wednesday and the procrastinator that I have become I waited to the last minute check out the temps(and get ready) in that area of Alaska. It seems the weather is just fine now, but some website say in January the weather average is -20f. I will be going out there for business fly in Monday and fly back out Frida.

My questions is since I will only be there for a week and not doing any tourist things (maybe see the northern lights). Do you think I will survive with goggles, thermals underneath, waterproof boots, beanie, and norhtface jacket? I will only be going airport > hotel > hospital > hotel....I won't be doing any hiking or camping while I'm out there. Do you think that should be fine if temps do dip to -20 running to the car and waiting for the heater to warm up?

Thanks for any input,
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska Empty Re: Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska

Post  ADOR Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:03 am

You need a new tarsus .454 casual magnum raging bull, 2.5" sub nose version up close for bears, and for small game I recommend a AR-7 explorer take down gun with clip mod and stinger ammo.

LMAO, right now looking at the weather channel and comparing it to another place it looks like it's around -12 there right now. I would bring extra clothes personaly, I would rather have it and don't' need it, then need it and don't have it. The high for the week is around -7 so it won't be warming up too.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska Empty Re: Travel questions - Fairbanks, Alaska

Post  Seamaster Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:03 am

That's not much colder than it is in my hometown! Minus temperatures like you are describing are cold. That said, you'll be inland, so it will be a dry cold and not too bad. Nevertheless, I'd want to be wrapped up. Generally, I like to wear a wool sweater and a down-filled jacked, gloves, warm socks and boots. You can get away with jeans and you won't need thermals, especially if running from car to indoor and vice versa, assuming your indoors means central heating.

Joking aside, you'll only have to worry about polar bears. The others will be hibernating.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:07 pm

Actually, he may run into the Momma Grizzly herself, so I fear for his safety -- or at least his sanity!

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Fuck polar bears!!!!!!!!!!!

Ador: your right better safe tan sorry

Seamaster:thermals will be an overkill. Trying to fit everything in a carry on...Looking in craigslist see what they have dont really want to invest to much money in something i wont be wearing again
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm

True. You will have to travel north for the polar bears.

I agree with the thermals. That's what I was saying: you need a warm jacket, sweater and gloves, and something to keep your feet warm. I guess coming from California, all of these things will seem foreign. Do you even own jeans or anything longer than shorts?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Does he even own a long-sleeved shirt?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:57 am

I get in trouble with people when I wear flip flops in December in LA, ...with a long sleeved shirt & hoodie.

PhotoOtaku

http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:26 am

{N-TYSH}
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:19 am

I think I have shared this experience before, but I was in SoCal in February. I found the weather quite warm (high of 28°C [82°F] and a nighttime low of 12°C [54°F]). I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and continued to do so into the night. I was blown away when I was passed in the street by a woman wearing a full padded jacket, wool gloves and earmuffs!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am

Past couple of weeks it's been 38f low and 68f highs. And today its a high of 71f still to cold. affraid

BTW I do own 1 pair of Jeans.....

mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:21 am

Perspective . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ADOR Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:59 am

Blur, did your boy get his minecraft stuff storted out?

We finally opened up one of the three servers I have to the public, If your boy wants to try it out let me know and I will get the public address for it from my son. I am using the local address so that won't work.

Sunfire v20z server, two dual core 2.2's and 8gb ram.
ADOR
ADOR

Back to top Go down

Post  mrblur Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 am

ADOR wrote:Blur, did your boy get his minecraft stuff storted out?

We finally opened up one of the three servers I have to the public, If your boy wants to try it out let me know and I will get the public address for it from my son. I am using the local address so that won't work.

Sunfire v20z server, two dual core 2.2's and 8gb ram.

When I get back this weekend, we can give it a try.

We have tried all the tutorials online still can't get anyone logged in. I can see everyone log into the VPN network using hamachi, but no dice in connecting to the server.

Send me the details this week and will give it a go. In the mean time he has me playing pokemon.

Getting back to the weather in Los Angeles oye....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6t-EjrtD3U
mrblur
mrblur

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:57 am

-13 up here this morning. I needed gas for my company car as I was heading home last Friday and decided to put it off until this morning. Not the best decision that I have ever made.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:50 pm

Oops!

In winter, I try to avoid letting the tank get under a half tank. I once let the tank dip below a half and the engine light came on, which of course went away after I filled up (I had ice in the tank). Problem is it cost me $140 for the service tech to reset things because the ECUs in today's cars like to be diagnosed after the lights come on . . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Well, I tend to get a bit lazy about it since I put so many miles on during the week that I put off filling up until the last minute. Not a good idea in cold weather, I admit.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down