The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

3 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:37 pm

And I will be content to sit on the sidelines and watch you contemplate. BAG
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 3 Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Iago Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:32 am

Do not bother getting up. I am quite content with the 83SE. I could always improve on it, of course -- but I could improve on my speakers as well, and I feel no urge whatsoever to do so. No Model Sevens in my future, I am afraid . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 am

I didn't say anything! I was just following the lead from your previous two posts.

As a complete aside, do you have any experience with Merlin speakers?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Nope. I am not sure if I have even heard of them before.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:40 pm

If you're interested, here's their website: http://merlinmusic.com/
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I took a look and they are certainly interesting. Like all speakers, they are the product of making design decisions about tradeoffs. Two-way speakers have their advantages in eliminating the crossover network in the critical lower midrange area, but at the tradeoff that one driver has a harder time accurately handling that frequency range (Vandersteens, with the exception of the low-end 1C are all three way -- four way if you count the powered subs in their upper models.) There are arguments to be made for both approaches. (There are even supposedly full-range speakers that use a single 3"driver, and I have not heard them, but I am rather skeptical.) A good two-way can be very musical. especially at lower levels. The reviews seemed very positive. Have you listened to them?
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:53 am

I have not listened to them, but I have heard positive things about them from many people. I was considering giving them a listen. However, they are a touch expensive for a two-way design (their monitors, for example, start at $4000 per pair; the towers are much more). There are quite a few options available at that price.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Vanderseen 1Cs are two-way floorstanders that retail for around $1000. Yes, I am biased.

Aperion and Anthony Gallo immediately spring to mind as affordable alternatives. Of course, it all comes down to preference. If you ever get a chance to listen to the Merlins, let me know what you think.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:35 pm

I thought the 1Cs weren't up to par with the rest of Vandersteen's lineup?

I wouldn't mind a pair of 3a speakers or quatros, but I am not sure that my amp is powerful enough to drive them effectively.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:52 pm

Nothing wrong with the 1Cs. They are just a less expensive two-way design:

http://www.vandersteen.com/1cfimagazine.pdf

http://www.vandersteen.com/1cplaybackreview.pdf

I just mentioned them since they are two-ways like the Merlins. From a price/performance perspective, the 2Ce Signature IIs are three ways at a bit over $2000, and are one of the best values in the Vandersteen line. Those were the speakers that I originally intended to buy -- until Eve opened the door to a bigger expenditure.

Like I said, I am clearly biased. I was thinking of other speakers that offered something similar to the Merlins at a bit lower price. (A pair of Gallo Reference 3.1s would be ducky as well.) But since I do not know if we have any local Merlin dealers, I would like to hear your impressions if you get a chance to audition them.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:43 am

I will have to do some research to find out who carries Merlins. The only contact number is for the country distributor, so it's possible there are no in-town dealers who carry the brand. I have never seen them before.

My favourite dealer does carry Vandersteen, though, so that is an easy audition and purchase. I have listened to the 3as and was impressed with what I heard. The only issue is that they were driven with a much more powerful amp than what I am running. According to the fellow in the store, the Vandersteens need a bit of juice to make them really sing. Would you agree?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:43 pm

They are definitely low efficiency. Even the new Model 7s are only rated at 83db. I am running the Quatros with 150 "real" watts of power (the Krell will double to 300 watts into 4 ohms, so there are no inflated measurements there!) They definitely require more juice than my old NHTs did.

Speaking of which, NHT has reformed itself as an internet-direct seller a la Aperion. Their revamped website is now live and it looks like they are shipping now. I have yet to see any reviews of their new line, but they have always offered great performance for the price, even when they were being resold.

http://www.nhthifi.com/

And speaking of the Vandersteen 7s, there are two newer reviews up:

http://www.vandersteen.com/ultra_vandersteen.pdf

http://www.vandersteen.com/asmodel7review2010.pdf

. . . just in case you have $45,000 to drop . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Let me check my wallet.

My little Moon integrated only outputs 50 watts into 8 ohms and 100 watts into 4 ohms. It is well designed, but it has its limitations. Perhaps I need to step it up if I'm looking to upgrade speakers.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:59 pm

If your Moon will double down into half the load, it is still a high-current design. But the raw wattage may still be a bit light for some speakers. Time and phase accurate speakers with 1st order crossovers tend to be inefficient -- Thiels have the same drawback. With your current (no pun intended) amp, I would shoot for 90db sensitivity or higher. You have plenty of good choices that fit the bill.

Just checked Aperion's page, and they have some new models. Hmmm . . .

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Verus-Grand-Tower-Speaker,267,89,802.aspx

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/NEW-Verus-Grand-Bookshelf-Speaker,268,89,804.aspx
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:31 pm

Funny that you should mention a sensitivity of 90 db. That is the sensitivity of the Monitor Audios I currently have hooked up.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have also been looking at Harbeths.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 am

I have always had a thing for the "British sound," though I have never listened to Harbeths. I still love my Missions in my mini-system.

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:10 am

Interesting read.

I will have to do some listening. I want to make a true upgrade to my stereo system over what I am currently running (a pair of RS6s).

In all likelihood, I will spring for a pair of Vandersteens or Harbeths. My dealer carries both, and carries most of the other hardware I'm running, so I should be able to find a good match. He also allows in-home trials, so I have nothing to lose and can make my decision based on what works best in my home environment.

Last edited by Seamaster on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

In-home trials are one of the biggest benefits of a local retailer. (Though both Aperion and NHT offer an in-home trial period, and they will pick up the shipping back if you do not like the speakers.) No one on earth can tell you precisely how speakers will sound until you get them into your own room.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3