The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

3 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Not so much looking for options; just trying to understand the limitations and options available. Thanks for the info.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess) - Page 2 Empty Re: Mobile Fidelity (Iago, have tissues handy to clean up your mess)

Post  Iago Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, feel free to stop by anytime and have a listen. But do call first; I would hate for you to waste the thousand mile trip.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks. I appreciate the offer.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:39 am

It would be the least that I could do after you made your one-day marathon drive.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:57 am

I think I've gotten a bit soft in recent years. I'd be more likely split the drive over two days now.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Pussy. (Tha.)

By the way, it looks like Oppo is done with the BD-83. They are out of stock on both the standard and SE versions. They have a new player coming in the next few months, the BD-93. That one will include 3D functionality at networking capability (whoopie f***in' do.) They are also losing the two channel outputs. If you do not have HDMI inputs on your processor, then that player looks like one to skip.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/transports/high-definition-dvd-players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/oppo-bdp-93

They are supposedly developing a new higher-end player that will improve upon the SE, but no dates or details yet.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes, I heard about that some time ago. I believe you can still get the BDP-83 and BDP-83SE through third-party channels (e.g., Music Direct still has them in stock).

The BDP-93 is a nice-looking player, but it's not for me. I don't care about the added functionality (networking or 3D); I care more for quality audio and video. It will be interesting to see what Oppo comes up with as their premium player (some people are dubbing it the BDP-95, since it is supposed to be built from the ground up and not based on the BDP-93).

Have you placed your order for the Vaughan SACDs? From what I can gather, each album will be released individually over consecutive months. The first -- Texas Flood -- should have been released, but I've read that there have been delays with the pressings. Becuase I have to pay international shipping (works out to about $25 per order), I'm a bit reluctant to preorder. Music Direct's policy on international orders is to wait until an order is filled before shiping, unless requested otherwise. Given the release schedule, I have two options (neither of which are preferred):

1. Wait about six months before I receive anything.

2. Pay for shipping individually on each disc, which will cost me an extra $125 and will cost me $55 per disc.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:35 pm

Going off topic again: Have you heard anything about Sherwood electronics? Are there products any good, or a waste of time?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:11 am

Sherwood Newcastle makes very decent equipment for the price. Never owned any of their stuff, though. At one point years ago I considered one of their receivers, but opted for Denon instead.

I had not ordered the Vaughan titles yet, but I just tried and when I add them to my cart, nothing shows up. I will try again later.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 am

If you were looking for a SACD-capable player (let's assume you didn't have the Oppo), would you consider the Sherwood SD-871? Have a look at it here: http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_sd871.html.

The SD-871 apparently retailed for $799, but I can pick one up for $100 (shipping and tariffs not included, mind you). I'm wondering if this might be an affordable and respectable way for me to get into SACD without breaking the bank. My other options appear to push the $1000 barrier (essentially I'd be looking at a Marantz, Oppo or Denon).

I was able to add the Vaughan discs to my cart earlier this month. Do you order through Music Direct or directly from MoFi?

Last edited by Seamaster on Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Update link and price.)
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:57 am

Not familiar with that model. The price is certainly right. One thing to keep in mind that may or may not be of importance to you is that many universal players convert the DSD bitstream to PCM and then do the D/A conversion. The Oppo is one of the few non-Sony players that decodes native DSD. There is of course much debate as to whether or not that makes an audible difference, but I have always felt that the primary advantage to DSD is the sampling rate, so I have mine decoded native DSD.

I tried ordering the Vaughan discs via Music Direct. It was likely some kind of a javascript problem with my laptop. I will try again later.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 am

Music Direct's site is acting a tad wonky. Try adding each disc that you want. Even though it will appear that your shopping cart is empty, you're requests have been logged. Once you are done adding discs, click Check Out and you cart will magically update.

Given the release schedule for the albums, be prepared to pay shipping individually for each album.

Since I am a bit picky about things, I will investigate the Sherwood's ability to pass DSD signals unmolested. I have also read the debate around DSD versus PCM. Regardless of whether or not it makes much of a difference, I like the idea of native DSD. Other players I had been looking at do have the ability to decode native DSD.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:19 pm

It is working now. That is some B.S. shipping rate -- even in the U.S., it is $7.18 for a single disc shipped ground.

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Look at it this way: You can ship three discs for the price it will cost me to ship one.

Have you heard anything about the remastered John Lennon CDs that were released this year? I already have the MoFi releases, so I don't feel the need to buy, but this year's releases are priced well. That said, I have heard that they are not only remastered, but remixed by Yoko as well. And, according to some, the remix is not a good thing.

Regarding the Sherwood: It can pass DSD, which is the good news. The bad news is that the vendor who was selling it is out of stock.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:45 am

Keep in mind that "passing" DSD and decoding DSD are not the same thing. Passing DSD usually refers to the fact that it can send a DSD signal over HDMI to an external decoder. You really want to make sure that it can decode DSD natively when using its analogue outputs.

I tried Acoustic Sounds to see what there shipping was like, and it was similar. Maybe I am spoiled, but I am accustomed to never paying shipping with Amazon. (And Amazon does not have the titles listed, dammit.)
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 am

I do understand the distinction; I just wasn't careful with my words. Thanks for clarrifying and for keeping me honest. Still moot point for the Sherwood though. It is no longer availble.

Have you checked out the remastered John Lennon CDs?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:26 pm

I did pick up the Plastic Ono Band CD relatively recently, but I just checked the copyright date and it is listed as 2000, so it must be an older version. (It has two bonus tracks.) I was very unimpressed with the sound quality. My old Capitol LP sounded much better, and that was not even an audiophile disc.

Now that I think about it, I have seen some Lennon discs in stores that were in cardboard sleeves (while mine is in a jewel case) so I bet those are the new versions and mine is the old one. If they have been remixed, I will probably avoid them even if the technical sound quality may be improved.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:16 am

I haven't listened to the new discs, but I have heard that Yoko got involved and remixed the tracks, which has put me off. Lennon was his best when he got to be Lennon. Incidentally, the new remasters are the ones in the cardboard sleeves. The release is supposed to commemorate what would have been Lennon's 70th birthday.

The MoFi Lennon discs are still available, if you're interested, including Plastic Ono Band. Next to Imagine, I think Plastic Lennon's second-strongest solo album.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:50 am

I still have Imagine on the older MoFi LP. The sound quality of that release was very, very good. Needless to say, that does not particularly help me right now . . .
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:59 am

Music Direct are also having a sale on some turntables . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I am sure. If I ever figure out where to put one, I may even consider it.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Or you can just pick up a well-mastered digital copy. Much less hassle than playing with vinyl. Of course, sometimes that's half the fun.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:50 am

Everything costs money.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:21 am

Indeed. That's why cost-effective options always give me the warm and fuzzies.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

That is why I am perfectly content with my Oppo SE. We shall see if I get jealous when they officially announce the 95. They posted a reply to some comments on their Facebook page that there will not be an upgrade path from the 93 to the 95, so even if they share the same basic platform, there are going to be sufficient changes to make upgrades impossible.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next