The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Pacific Rim EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Pacific Rim EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Pacific Rim EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Pacific Rim EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Pacific Rim EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Pacific Rim EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Pacific Rim EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Pacific Rim EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Pacific Rim EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Pacific Rim

2 posters

Go down

Pacific Rim Empty Pacific Rim

Post  Iago Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 am

Guillermo del Toro + kaiju + mecha + Idris Elba + the voice of GLADOS = I am so, so there!

One thing that impresses me in the trailer: at least in those brief clips, the monsters and the mecha have a real sense of scale. One of my biggest beefs with CGI is that way that creatures seem to lack a feeling of mass, weight and size, partly because the animators cannot resist the temptation to make them move too quickly. But the shots in this trailer have real feeling of size and mass.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Pacific Rim Empty Re: Pacific Rim

Post  Seamaster Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Of course, I can't view the trailer right now. I will check it out tonight.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Get 'er done!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:31 am

Looks like a bit of fun. I agree that the CGI looks promising. Movement does look realistic when compared with other CGI efforts.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 pm

That is the one advantage that man-in-suit effects have had over digital effects: the sense of mass. Done well, with approprate undercranking and well-chosen camera angles, suit effects can get a pretty impressive sense of weight and size. The Nineties-era Gamera trilogy especially excelled at that, despite being even lower budget than the Godzilla films.

If Pacific Rim can have that kind of look even with digital effects, then I pretty much will not care in the slightest about any deficiencies with the story!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Perhaps. But I would be happier with a somewhat decent story.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

Story is always good. But kaiju fans have their priorities!

I ordered Godzilla vs. Biolante on Blu and should have it this week. Since most of the series has still yet to see an HD release in this country, that Eighties-era title was an interesting choice, but it may partly be due to the fact that it has never been released on disc in this country at all.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:07 pm

I must confess that I am not a huge fan of big-monster movies just because of the big monsters. So a somewhat decent story certainly makes a difference to me.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:46 am

For a kaiju fan, story is the icing on the cake. Great story + lousy monster action = good film, but not a good kaiju film. Lousy story + great monster action = weak film, but great kaiju film. Both = classic. Doe not happen often!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:11 pm

I probably shouldn't ask this, but where does the 1998 remake of Godzilla rank for a kaiju fan? I will reserve my opinion for now.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 am

It does not even rank. Most Godzilla fans, myself included, do not even consider it a Godzilla film. Emmerich & Devlin completely misunderstood the appeal of kaiju eiga -- frankly, they misunderstood the appeal of giant monster movies in general. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, despite being very dated, is a much more entertaining film. There was not necessarily anything wrong with changing the mythology of the character, since it has been played with constantly over the decades in the Japanese movies, but they literally drained any and all mythology out of it and were left with a big lizard. Not a very cool-looking one, either. I have MUCH greater hopes for what Gareth Edwards can do with the character.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:07 pm

My general opinion is the movie sucked, but I'm not looking at it from the viewpoint of a kaiju fan, just a fan of movies. I didn't want to prematurely insult just because I didn't get the giant-monster thing.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:56 am

Hardly an insult not to like something that I do!

See, for all of its basic flaws, such as lousy dialogue, acting, settings, and plotting, most kaiju eiga fans would still be more forgiving of the American remake of Godzilla if not for its worst flaws; namely, the conceptual ones. The single most important criterion for giant monster films is that they be fun, and Emmerich & Devlin managed to somehow completely suck the life out of an otherwise fairly bulletproof genre.

Gareth Edwards did put together a teaser trailer for his new remake of Godzilla exclusively for ComicCon last year, and somehow or another it managed to stay that way, with no version of it having leaked onto the internet anywhere -- and I tried to find it, to no avail. Unusual in this day and age for something to stay a secret! But despite the fact that it was really sort of a demo reel, as they had not (and still have not) shot a frame of footage for the film yet, but all reports of those in attendance said that it was truly spectacular, and most importantly, very, very cool.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:26 am

Dumb question time: Do movies like Cloverfield and Monsters qualify as big-monster movies, given that you don't see the monster (particularly in the latter film) for much of the film?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Certainly. There is no hard-and-fast rule regarding screen time; the 1933 version of King Kong is undisputably the greatest giant monster movie ever made, and you see nothing of Kong until nearly 45 mintues into the film (though the movie makes up for lost time by keeping him on screen, or at least "substitute" monsters on screen, for the balance of the film.)

Cloverfield is unquestionably a giant monster movie; just one that grafted the whole "found footage" style on to it. I do think that they may perhaps have erred slightly by keeping the monster off screen TOO much; on the other hand, Alien is unquestionably one of the greatest monster movies of all time, and you barely see the adult incarnation of that thing for more than a few seconds of total screen time. Monsters is kind of a different case, I suppose, in that the title itself is a bit deceptive, as the movie really is not about monsters at all -- which is why I think that many people do not care for it; their expectations are wrong.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:51 pm

I suppose you could argue that Monsters is as much about alien monsters as it is about our inner monsters. Inner monsters don't qualify as big monsters though, at least not in the traditional sense.

Where would you put Jaws?

Last edited by Seamaster on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Classic monster movie. 25ft long or not, it really fits that mold -- although I suppose that you could argue that the film is a borderline Seventies disaster movie, with a shark instead of an earthquake, so in that sense it has a touch of the "giant monster" to it, as they generally qualify as disaster movies as well.

A movie like The Host is way more complicated; that movie is a hybrid of so many genres that it is hard to pin down. Whatever genre you choose for it, it is a stellar film!

Regarding Monsters, that is how I see it; in some ways, the giant monsters are just McGuffins to drive the plot. But the moments with those monsters, especially in the final scene at the gas station, elevates the movie to something else entirely -- it achieves a moment of true poetic beauty.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 am

Glad you mentioned The Host. The first time I watched it, I made the mistake of watching it with English dubbing and I hated the movie because of it (pretty sure that was the default setting, and I just wasn't paying attention). At any rate, I decided to watch it again and this time I did so with English subtitles. What a difference. Suddenly, the actors were acting. I could hear their fear, angst and torment, even if I couldn't understand the exact words they were saying. I loved the movie after that viewing and it reminded me how dubbing absolutely ruins a movie. I picked up a copy on Blu, but I have yet to watch it in that format. Is it a vast improvement over the DVD?

I agree regarding the final scene of Monsters. To me, it is almost the next chapter to the climax of Close Encounters, in terms of poetry and our metaphysical philosophy of life.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:27 am

Fantastic comparison! I had not thought of CE3K in reference to Monsters, but the endings both contain a similar sense of awe and wonder that few science fiction films have ever equalled. (I would include 2001 on that list, though its effects are a bit more intellectual and less emotional, whereas both Monsters and CE3K teeter more toward a raw emotional response.) Both films combine that sense of wonder with completing a dramatic arc; in the case of CE3K, it is not just the sense of awe at seeing something nearly mystical, but it is the sense of completion in that he is coming to the end of his arduous journey and finding a "purpose." Similarly, in Monsters the two characters find a moment of emotional connection after all their adventures, all while watching the very things that they have been running from finding their OWN connection.

The Host looks and sounds great on Blu-Ray. Well worth the re-watch on that format.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm

Have we all seen the WonderCon trailer yet? "Jaw-dropping" does not even begin to describe it:

Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down