The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? Empty IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER?

Post  ethelred Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 am

I've been doing some research with the hope of getting my daughter and her family a wireless blu-ray player for Christmas. They intend to use it mainly for streaming Netflix. My original thought was that this was going to be an easy project. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD80 that I have been very satisfied with, so I concluded that all I needed to do was purchase the wireless version (DMP-BD85). The reviews I read faulted the machine for having a poor user interface but the real turn-off was that a new firm-ware upgrade has resulted in the loss of the ability to stream Netflix. It wasn't clear if and when this problem will be resolved.

So I looked at other machines in my price range ($200 - $300) with the following results:

Samsung BD-C6500 has problems with establishing and maintaining a wireless connection.

LG BD570 has video problems--freezing or jumping frames, out of sync audio.

Sony BDP-N460 has pour quality Netflix streaming or none at all.

I really had to swallow my pride to do the research on the LG (and was actually glad when the research confirmed my prejudice). Do you guys have any suggestions?
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? Empty Re: IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER?

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:18 am

Since I don't stream and have never had the inkling, it is not something that I've looked into. I had read that the new Sonys are decent (e.g., the BDP-570), but maybe that's not true given what you read about the N460. The old faithful -- the PS3 -- might be your safest bet if streaming is at the top of the Want List.

If you're willing to spring more, Oppo will be releasing a new player -- the BDP-93 -- which includes wireless, but it is priced at $500, so perhaps a bit much.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I have no other suggestions.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER? Empty Re: IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A RELIABLE WI-FI BLU RAY PLAYER?

Post  Iago Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Like Seamaster, wi-fi and streaming is something that I have never had any interest in, so those are capabilities to which I have paid no attention. In following the forums for the Oppo BD-83 that I own, I have gotten frustrated by the number of questions related to streaming, since I do not use it. Obviously, Seamaster and I must be in the minority, because so many people make a big deal about it.

But sadly our lack of interest equates with a lack of knowledge, so we cannot help. Maybe PO will chime in -- he seems like more of the streaming type.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  PhotoOtaku Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm

I don't stream either, ...I rip out plaster and lay cable Smile

FYI, a modern way of doing lath and plaster walls is to use sheets of expanded metal mesh instead of wood lath. This pretty much makes radio signals ineffective from room to room.

PhotoOtaku

http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Well if nothing else, you guys made me feel less stupid. I checked the AVS forums a few minutes ago and the firmware update has been released. Supposedly Netflix can now be streamed again, but I am going to wait awhile before ordering to see if any other problems develop.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:52 pm

One of the pains with Blu-Ray players is that you really need to keep the firmware updated -- even if you do not think that you have any problems, one will crop up at the least convenient time. I just tried loaning a disc to my dad, but his player will not play it (and I am having to really bug him about updating the firmware.)
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Iago wrote:One of the pains with Blu-Ray players is that you really need to keep the firmware updated -- even if you do not think that you have any problems, one will crop up at the least convenient time. I just tried loaning a disc to my dad, but his player will not play it (and I am having to really bug him about updating the firmware.)

And this is coming from someone who used to not worry about updating firmware! Incidentally, many of the problems people experience with Blu-ray players is related to Internet connectivity and a player attempting to access BD-live content. If the player is not connected to the Internet, these problems do not appear. There is an uncanny satisfaction to be had with being unplugged.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 pm

I did not say that I was worried worried about firmware updates. I still generally wait until I have a problem, unless a new release offers some functionality that I want. But I always recommend that others keep theirs up to date, since they may not be prepared to deal with the issues when they arise and may get more frustrated than I do when something does not work. I accept those issues as growing pains.

Regarding BD Live, I recommend always shutting it off. There has yet to be any features offered by it that are worth the problems it creates.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I was only making a joke. I figured that you probably weren't too worried about staying on top of firmware updates.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:17 am

Regarding BD Live, I recommend always shutting it off. There has yet to be any features offered by it that are worth the problems it creates

I certainly agree with that. From what I have seen, BD Live only gives one the option of playing some lame-a** game that wouldn't even challenge my 5-year-old granddaughter.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:35 am

BD-Live just slows down your player and creates compatibility problems for no good reason. The studios keep bragging about the BD-Live features that they offer, but few people are using them. I would rather that they scrap those features and concentrate on better quality transfers.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:36 am

It is strange that manufacturers are adding gimicky features to a player that is supposed to handle HD content. I didn't buy into Blu-ray for BD-Live and other gimmicks.

However, it seems that that is what the average consumer wants, based on what I've read in articles and on other forums.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:13 am

I really do not think that is true. What is true is that those features are what the studios think that the consumers want, but I have found few people who use the BD-Live features, either enthusiasts or the general public. I have also read many comments and threads complaining about it. I do still follow the BD-83 threads on AVS just to keep informed of any changes, and most people there seem to have shut it off.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:31 pm

Do keep in mind that you are looking at threads about a player that is primarilly bought by AV enthusiasts or wannabe enthusiasts. Check out a JVC, Samsung or Sony thread and you'll see posts from people wanting Netflix and streaming support so that they can watch youtube videos. Then you have review sites like CNET that go out of their way to ding players that omit such features. They seem to ignore a player's video and audio performance, and focus primarily on feature set and price.

Last edited by Seamaster on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Do keep in mind, however, that we are actually talking about two different things. Streaming capability and Netflix compatibility is indeed something that consumers keep bellyaching for. In fact, that has been the one issue that keeps coming up over and over again on the AVS BD-83 thread, so both regular consumers and enthusiasts want it equally. (That is why it is a feature on the upcoming BD-93.)

BD-Live, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. That is what allows users to access net-connected features for a specific Blu-Ray disc. At its simplest, you may be able to download new trailers, but it has also involved things like "live" commentaries or allowing people to share favorite scenes with other users. I have read very, very little positive about most of those kinds of features anywhere.

You can have an internet-connected player that you stream content to, while still having BD-Live shut off.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Fair enough. I was never talking just about BD-Live. We must have hit a fork in the road!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:15 am

Ethelred would be a case in point -- he wants the streaming features, but not the BD-Live.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:12 am

fwiw: I purchased the Panasonic DMP-BD85K from Panasonic Direct yesterday for $137.50 plus $1.99 shipping and local taxes. Amazon was at $183 w/ free shipping plus local taxes. I saved $45.91. I decided to get one for myself as well to replace an older DVD model I have.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:04 pm

Let us know how it works. You know the score -- pictures plus a minimum 500 words are mandatory.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, it was supposed to ship in 1-3 days but is currently backordered with no known arrival date. It took me 45 min on hold yesterday to come away with that figment of information. There on line site does not respond to orders that have not shipped. Hello Peggy.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 am

The joys of the interwebs.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:23 am

Is there no such thing as a reliable online vendor?
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm

Seamaster wrote:Is there no such thing as a reliable online vendor?

Today, I read on AVS forums that Panasonic was changing the price on the units that had not yet shipped to $175.00 so I thought I should check my order status. Having been forwarned, I was not surprised to find that the price for the 2 units I ordered had changed as well. Numerous attempts to get through to their customer service by phone proved unsuccessful, so I emailed a request to change the price back to the amount originally acknowledged and attached a copy of the acknowledgement showing the original price.

Hopefully they will respond in a positive manner.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Yikes. Good luck with that!

Seamaster: As you know, I had very good luck with OneCall, but they do not deal with Canucks.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:40 am

And I've had no problem with Amazon, Music Direct and Boston Watch Exchange. I was attempting to be cheeky and did not realize Ethelred was having problems with Panasonic. Oops . . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next