The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
My latest voodoo projects EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
My latest voodoo projects EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
My latest voodoo projects EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
My latest voodoo projects EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
My latest voodoo projects EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
My latest voodoo projects EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
My latest voodoo projects EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
My latest voodoo projects EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
My latest voodoo projects EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

My latest voodoo projects

+9
TheeMrBastage
Jegersnutse
mrblur
ADOR
Iago
Seamaster
ethelred
PhotoOtaku
East
13 posters

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next

Go down

My latest voodoo projects Empty My latest voodoo projects

Post  East Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 pm

Well here are my latest voodoo related projects. Do you guys happen to know what the first voodoos model number is? Just curious. (My gut is saying its an m:730) It reminds me a lot of my u:703 but its thinner. At any rate the dead voodoo set me back about $60, I resold the 2gb of memory that came with it for that so it was essentially free. I have $95 into the running parts machine. I am hoping to sell the extra screen + other misc parts for $50-$100. Provided I can pull that off this will be one hell of a deal Smile

Provided the parts machine arrives as described another one is kept in existence Very Happy

It is a clevo D870P.

It is Laguna Seca Blue with the Wheel Of Time Tattoo

(You cant see in the photo but the voodoo casing is complete), I got the unit 100% complete, The mobo is out of it in the photographs b/c I was looking for part numbers to track down a replacement.

My latest voodoo projects DSC01243

My latest voodoo projects DSC01244

And the parts machine (should be here in about a week)

My latest voodoo projects Partsmachine

My latest voodoo projects Parts2

My latest voodoo projects Parts3

After I finish this I am going to get started repairing that imola orange m:855 I bought off of k-tron on ebay. I have all of the replacement parts but the volume control is busted on the replacement mobo, I am just going to figure out the pinning and bypass it

My latest voodoo projects DSC01245

(imola orange plastics and paint are near flawless, red 855 plastics have seen better days, Its gouged scratched and chipped, but runs great) (with the exception of the sound problem that is)

My latest voodoo projects DSC01246
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

My latest voodoo projects Empty Re: My latest voodoo projects

Post  PhotoOtaku Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I've never been much of a Voodoo laptop guy, they just seem like well painted Clevo rigs, ...however I have to admit that is quiet the collection you have amassed.

PhotoOtaku

http://twitter.com/Photootaku

Back to top Go down

Post  East Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:43 pm

PhotoOtaku wrote:I've never been much of a Voodoo laptop guy, they just seem like well painted Clevo rigs, ...however I have to admit that is quiet the collection you have amassed.

and Compal. Mitac Wink

I like fixing them up provided I can get them for the right price.

I still have my patch work m:350 (Is mostly silver the case parts that were missing are black since I Completed it using parts off of an acer, Ill get around to painting the replacement parts one day) (I bought it sight unseen, so yeah that ones my fault)

My u:703 is still running strong. I guess it helps keeping the fans super clean.
My latest voodoo projects 293x0f7

My Idol is working great as a media center
My latest voodoo projects 1-7

And my omen case is still empty since I decided to try and wait out/skip i7. (After spending 1.1k on this qx6800 I have decided to run it until modern games will not run on it)
My latest voodoo projects Omen2

I did rebuild my lian li desktop. I finally swapped that pos p5n32-e for a evga 790i ftw. I had a few memory compatibility issues when I first did but I tweeked it in the bios and ever since has been alright. I also threw in a cooler master v8 hs while I was at it. Dropped temps about 5 degrees F and it runs quieter too.

And since I can't find my bay panels I picked up a black brushed aluminum nzxt fan controller (its a pos though, The alarm randomly sounds It will be replaced soon)
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:09 am

I have a non-functioning Voodoo laptop (mother board, vid card or both?). I'll have to dig up the info on it if you are interested.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:27 am

ethelred wrote:I have a non-functioning Voodoo laptop (mother board, vid card or both?). I'll have to dig up the info on it if you are interested.

I probably would be interested depending on the specs, whats missing, what you are asking for it and what original accessories are included (ac adapter, binder, recovery media etc)
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 am

I seem to recall the first Voodoo laptop being numbered the M355. Rahul had a thing for Ferraris and I remember the laptop shared model numbers with a Ferrari that was current at the time (the F355).

If you're talking early Voodoo desktop models, you'd have to go back to the EGADs, Iron Chefs and others.

Nice collection you have, EastT!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Seamaster wrote:I seem to recall the first Voodoo laptop being numbered the M355. Rahul had a thing for Ferraris and I remember the laptop shared model numbers with a Ferrari that was current at the time (the F355).

If you're talking early Voodoo desktop models, you'd have to go back to the EGADs, Iron Chefs and others.

Nice collection you have, EastT!

Thanks Seamaster.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:41 am

I dug the computer out last night. It is an m-780 in silverstone silver (I believe that is what the color was called--never got a confirminrg bill of sale from Voodoo). Paid $4,445 for it in April of 2004 and used it for less than 2 years. During that time it was sent back once for a new video card, needed a new BIOS, and developed a crack in the bezel above the right hinge. Finally, I think the heat that was output by the unit caused the motherboard to fry--but don't know for sure. If you buy it, I will include a history of the problems.

The unit is complete, except for the mobile power supply. By complete, I mean the binder, all discs and manuals that came with it, original pack (except the straw and the noisemker), and even the t-shirt (never been worn). There are no scratches to the finish on the exterior or interior. No tatoos other than the Envy tatoo on the inside.

Relevant specs include:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz HT 800FSB
1024 Meg DDR 400 RAM
60 Gb 7200 RPM HGST Tavelstar HDD
Pioneer DVD +/- RW DVD writer
ATI Mobility Radeon9700 256 Meg Vid Card
17" TFT WXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD
G wireless
Bluetooth
Windows XP Home
Office 2003

Let me know if you are interested.

Last edited by ethelred on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit: found the noisemaker, but it needs a new battery)
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  East Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:00 am

PM sent
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:23 am

Our first sales of the forum!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:07 pm

ethelred wrote:I dug the computer out last night. It is an m-780 in silverstone silver (I believe that is what the color was called--never got a confirminrg bill of sale from Voodoo). Paid $4,445 for it in April of 2004 and used it for less than 2 years. During that time it was sent back once for a new video card, needed a new BIOS, and developed a crack in the bezel above the right hinge. Finally, I think the heat that was output by the unit caused the motherboard to fry--but don't know for sure. If you buy it, I will include a history of the problems.

The unit is complete, except for the mobile power supply. By complete, I mean the binder, all discs and manuals that came with it, original pack (except the straw and the noisemker), and even the t-shirt (never been worn). There are no scratches to the finish on the exterior or interior. No tatoos other than the Envy tatoo on the inside.

Relevant specs include:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz HT 800FSB
1024 Meg DDR 400 RAM
60 Gb 7200 RPM HGST Tavelstar HDD
Pioneer DVD +/- RW DVD writer
ATI Mobility Radeon9700 256 Meg Vid Card
17" TFT WXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD
G wireless
Bluetooth
Windows XP Home
Office 2003

Let me know if you are interested.

Ethelred's non running voodoo is still for sale for 300+ shipping if anybody is interested.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  ethelred Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks for the advert.
ethelred
ethelred

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:41 pm

East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:23 pm

Just a quick update.

The parts machine arrived today with a few minor issues none of which were directly related to the motherboard. (video on lcd would cut out if the laptop was picked up and other random crap)

The only real problem (if you can call it that) that I encountered is I forgot where i put the pentium 4 3.2-3.4 EE that came in the voodoo Sad So I am stuck with the underpowered celeron for now.

I have been working on this since I got home today. I have yet to install a hard drive but everything else is done. I hope to install the drive and windows after dinner.

My latest voodoo projects DSC01257

My latest voodoo projects DSC01256

My latest voodoo projects DSC01258

Specs so far:
Celeron 2.8 (will be replaced as soon as I find the voodoo's cpu)
786mb of ram
Bluetooth
Glossy screen
And all of the other standard clevo d870p stuff
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:05 pm

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Turns out the motherboard has bad video, During windows installation it started artifacting really badly. Now it refuses to post. (and that was with arctic silver on the gpu, so I know it was bad before I got it) I'll get a refund and keep looking for a board. In the mean time I will be starting on the imola orange 855. At least I know all of my 855 parts are in good working condition. (Already tested the motherboard only problem is broken volume wheel which I will be bypassing)
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  East Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Damn and just when I thought I finished my m780 project. Sad

The guy ended up refunding my money minus the shipping and told me to keep it. So for $15 I got a pile junk and a working matte finish lcd Sad

Here are the pictures:

My latest voodoo projects 20rmm81

My latest voodoo projects 24ymrmv

(Yeah they hurt my eyes too)

Well at least it is slightly more functional then before... sort of... if you can call it that. As you can see in the photos that board isn't long for this world.

Since it is mine now I am going to see about reflowing it, Can't hurt. People have reported it actually working. idk the exact cause of this. The laptop does not run hot at all by any means. I am guessing if a solder joint is fractured it is the result of overheating during may hours of gaming. What do you guys think? Bad solder joint, bad video ram? I have never tried to fix this sort of problem before, Usually I just throw the gpu away and get a new one, But due to the rarity of boards for this thing I am willing to at least try reflowing it. (I really don't trust my self to do it nor do I want those chemicals being released in my oven where I cook food, So I am looking to send it out) Anybody know somebody who has a professional reflowing oven?

(I considered using the heat from my car motor to do it but I think the vibrations from it sitting on the air cleaner would do more harm then good.)
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm

I think it'd be fine in your oven. After all, you'll only be leaving it in for six minutes or so. If you're that concerned about emissions, consider picking up a heat lamp and you can do the work outside or in your garage, where you'll have plenty of ventilation.

Stay away from the car. The vibrations will send the liquid solder all over the place. You want the board to be stationary while it cools.

Last edited by Seamaster on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Well I have been doing some reading up on reflowing. (The xbox 360 repair community has been a great help) The more I read the more I am buying into the idea that it might just be a bad solder joint. (even with the screen almost unreadable the laptop still seems perfectly stable, wtf? when my desktop's old 9800gt died it was locking up left and right) I am probably going to pick up a cheap heatgun at lowes and do it in my driveway. (I don't want anything flammable near by considering the lowest setting on the heatgun is 750F).

I will keep you guys updated. To quote lago "It will be interesting to see how it turns out." to say the least. Hopefully it won't end badly / with third degree burns xD. Going to invest in a pair of decent gloves too.

If it works on this I have a few other dead laptop motherboards I will try it on.

Not that it is any consolation but I found the p4 3.4 EE from the voodoo Wink
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:26 pm

I don't remember the exact setting, but I think the recommended temperature is around 375 or 400. You might want to put some distance between your board and that heat gun!

Best of luck. Look at it this way: The board is already broken, so you have nothing to lose!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:40 pm

I would recommend putting some distance between civilians and his house while he does the procedure. Voodoo-related projects have a history, you know.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Iago wrote:I would recommend putting some distance between civilians and his house while he does the procedure. Voodoo-related projects have a history, you know.

I actually have a decent track record with electronic repair. The only problem I ever had is an old gateway crt caught fire (and I wasn't trying to fix that, I was using it at the time) ended up quickly unplugging it and dousing it with water. (luckily there was a dehumidifier bucket full of water near by) that was about 6 years ago. I didn't get hurt and it didn't do any property damage either. My latest voodoo projects Th_smiley1 (my desk got wet but meh it was in the basement anyway)

I think this is the heat gun I am going to get.
I like it because it is cheap and has a low setting of 250F (Some of the other ones I have been looking at consider 750F a low setting) And it has a max setting of 1350FMy latest voodoo projects Th_shocked

I have actually heard of Milwaukee tools before.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:36 am

The return of reaction not example!

I think EastT is a tad more careful than Chow. If this were a Chow job, we'd need to vacate his entire neighbourhood.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:57 pm

True @ dat.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Seamaster wrote:The return of reaction not example!

If this were a Chow job, we'd need to vacate his entire neighbourhood.

We are talking about somebody that defined them self on urban dictionary... http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Chowbow
(or was this a prank by we hooligans?) My latest voodoo projects Lol
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 23 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next