The Other Bench
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Christmas 2023
Something retro EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 12:46 pm by ADOR

» Voodoo desktop keyboard on ebay
Something retro EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am by ADOR

» All finished!
Something retro EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 5:22 pm by ADOR

» A bad Omen appears in the night...
Something retro EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 5:04 pm by ADOR

» Hope everyone had a Good Christmas and New Years.
Something retro EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 6:44 pm by Rozzinator

» Ebay OMEN White and water cooled 2800
Something retro EmptyWed Mar 08, 2023 9:18 am by ADOR

» eBay voodoo mouse 320 dollars
Something retro EmptyThu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm by ADOR

» looking to sell
Something retro EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 7:07 pm by gameboy3800

» New voodoo on ebay
Something retro EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:51 am by ADOR

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Something retro

5 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Something retro Empty Something retro

Post  East Fri May 27, 2011 8:41 pm

I Dug out my sega genesis earlier today and had some fun. You guys will have to excuse the static from the rf adapter. My 32x to genesis pass through model 1 cable adapter didn't turn up until later in the day. (The 32x interfaces via rca) (The adapter conveniently was stored away in a separate box with my 2 6 button controllers which most 32x games require.)

https://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo279/ss87622/?action=view&current=MOV01572.mp4
Note my idol's cameo. Its still running great Something retro Thcool

I still remember the day I purchased the sega cd. It was after they were discontinued and I couldn't find one anywhere. I ended up purchasing the model 1 you see in the video for $10 under the pretense it was broken. At the time I had intended to find another one with a different issue and bash the 2 together making one functional unit. I ended up replacing an irregular looking fuse and calibrating the cd tray mechanism, After a good cleaning the unit looked like new and it has been working flawlessly to date, Even after being in my closet for a decade.

I have still yet to find most of my games, I must have a box of them somewhere.

I am going to have to make room for this now on my tv stand. Time to put away the 360.
East
East

http://www.gamersgen.org/ggsmf

Back to top Go down

Something retro Empty Re: Something retro

Post  agent1a Sat May 28, 2011 12:04 pm

at least your games had color all we had after i finished playing with the rocks outside was this

http://computermuseum.50megs.com/collectionpong.htm
agent1a
agent1a

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sat May 28, 2011 1:25 pm

Yeah, I feel privileged. Not only did we have color but it was sixteen bit color to boot. and our controllers had 3 buttons, Although in most games A B and C all had the same function Something retro Thlol
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon May 30, 2011 10:04 am

Iago will not approve of your plan, as it does not involve spending money.

The old school are fun, but one thing that I do not miss about old consoles are the corded controllers.

Last edited by Seamaster on Mon May 30, 2011 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Mon May 30, 2011 12:13 pm

I am all over cheap retro gaming, but prefer cheap PC retro gaming. GoG is my best friend. They just picked up one of my all-time favorites: Realms of the Haunting. It is one of only two or three games that I have ever played that had a story good enough that it would have made an interesting book. The combat is less than perfect, but the story makes up for it:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/realms_of_the_haunting
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Mon May 30, 2011 1:50 pm

I paid a mint for some of the games that GoG are now selling for peanuts!
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Tue May 31, 2011 12:08 am

Seamaster wrote:I paid a mint for some of the games that GoG are now selling for peanuts!

That sucks, Digital distribution ruins everything. On the other hand I bid on a copy of vay yesterday on ebay, another working designs game that I never had the privilege of owning. It ended up going for a small fortune and I didn't win it. While I like my sega I don't think that this stuff is worth anything near what it sells for on ebay. There were millions of these consoles made and probably just as many copies of the games. While some of them may have gotten thrown away I doubt that may did.

As nice as it is to own the price they sell for makes the damn thing irreplaceable should it break beyond repair.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm

I actually do not like digital distribution, at least for newer titles. I much prefer my shiny discs. But with many of these older games, this is the only way to get them. And GoG is DRM-free, unlike most others.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Tue May 31, 2011 10:36 pm

Smudge-free shiny discs! I have never understood why some people put their greasy fingers all over the shiny surface.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Tue May 31, 2011 11:25 pm

I did manage to find said box. Almost entirely genesis + addon games. I found my origenal copy of sonic cd, robo aleste and a bunch of 32x games including Metal head and knuckles chaotix. The most note worthy genesis game that was in there was streets of rage 2.

I am starting to get excited about this console. I was concerned at first when I couldn't find most of the games but everything I can recall seems to be in fore mentioned box, Even the power base converter and some random master system games Something retro Thsmiley1
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:52 am

I think that my old Vectrex is still buried in a box somewhere at my parent's house . . .

http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/vectrex.htm
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am

I remember playing on an Atari where games came on a cassette tape and had to be loaded each time to play. Some games required reading from both sides of the casette tape and I remember much dissapointment on many occasions when the game failed to load properly and you did not find out until 45 minutes later when the Atari decided to tell you that there was an error reading the data . . .
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 am

"The overlays livened up the games and moreover protected the eyes for the bright and a bit blinking light that was typical of the vector technique."

That sounds painful to play, Especially at night in a dark room.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:01 am

No, that was a silly complaint. There were no bright blinking lights. If you remember arcade games like Asteroids, Space Wars, Tempest, and Star Wars, all of which used vector graphics, what they are referring to is that the juncture point between any two lines would be a dot that was slightly brighter than the line itself. Nothing bright or blinking. When I had my Vectrex, I often played the games with the overlay off because it darkened the image.

Seamaster:

Our first computer was a Commodore PET with a built-in tape drive. I had the same problem -- you would sometimes load a game for a half hour or more, only to have a data error make the whole thing a waste. What fun.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Yes, I am glad we've progressed past tape drives for a number of reasons.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 pm

For all of the fun that retro gear can be, there can be some major reminders of how much some things were not so fun!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 am

Like the inability to save progress on some games? Though, to be fair, retro games generally were not as complex or expansive as we see today.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:04 pm

I saw this the other day,

and suddenly want my turbografx back. I played the first shadowgate for nes and 64 for nintendo 64 but I never knew this one existed. The first one you clicked on a static background to interact using a mouse controlled by the d pad. Shadowgate 64 was in first person and you used the c buttons on the n64 to walk. (It was as awkward to play as it sounds) They seem to change the format of these games every time they make a sequel. Is it me do a lot of elements of this one remind you of the lucas arts point and click rpgs that were out at the time? (More specifically monkey island II, The only thing missing is the verb board.)
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 pm

I would not call the Lucasarts point-and-cllck games of the era RPGs. They were adventure games.

Speaking of RPGs, GoG just released Ultima Underworld 1&2 -- two of the greatest RPGs of all time. I just had a nerdgasm. (Even crazier, they signed a deal with EA that will let them release the Crusader series. Good time to be a classic gamer!
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:39 am

I love Ultima, but when I went back to it several years ago, it did not live up to my memory. That can be another problem with some retro games.

The Lucasarts masterpiece for me was Grim Fandango. I loved the story and atmosphere. Though I wouldn't exactly consider that title retro just yet.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  East Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 pm

residual has finally been developed to the point that it can run grim fandango with at the most minor problems.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Grim Fandango is over ten years old now -- pushing fifteen, actually. In the world of computer gaming, that definitely puts it in the retro category!

Ultima Underworld was set in the Ultima universe but is not part of the series. It was the first true real-time first person RPG:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_underworld_1_2

I have not played either one since they came out nearly twenty years ago, but looking at those screenshots brings back memories -- the interface and some other details are still familiar! I may actually buy the pack and see how it still plays.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamaster Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:55 pm

When I think of retro video games, I think of pre-3D-accelerated games. I suppose that isn't a very accurate way of thinking about it.
Seamaster
Seamaster

Back to top Go down

Post  Iago Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Well, Underworld is certainly not 3D accelerated, and I may be mistaken but I am not sure if Fandango required an accelerator. That was right around the time that games were starting to move towards 3D acceleration, but it was hardly prevalent.
Iago
Iago

Back to top Go down

Post  East Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:39 pm

Grim fandango used prerendered 2d backgrounds. The characters were rendered in 3d I believe.

Something retro Dsc01583a

I miss working designs.
East
East

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next